Chapter 103: Crossroads of Destiny

When the day came that they were to return to the Capital, everyone in Hira'a came out to see them off. The little ones were gathered around Chiara and Kiyi hugging them and begging them not to leave, but Chiara assured them they would visit. Nya gave them bouquets of flowers and hugged Kiyi one last time. After saying goodbye to her best friend, Nya walked up to Azula who was standing with Ursa. She held out a bouquet of beautiful blue flowers.

"These are for you, Princess Azula. I chose the blue ones like your fire."

Azula glanced at her mother who gave her a tender smile. She took the bouquet from the girl.

"Thank you," she said in a quiet voice. She still struggled with the thought that after all she had done, none of these people were required to show her any respect, much less genuine kindness, but they did so anyways. Having heard that Chiara had healed the little girl's eyes, she expected her sister-in-law to be the center of attention, but the villagers still came to her bowing and wishing her well, and Nya still came to her with a bouquet of specially picked flowers to say goodbye.

Shiza once again provided a wagon to take the family to the dock. After everyone's belongings were loaded, Zuko helped Chiara climb on the back while Noren lifted Kiyi up placing her in the back before helping his wife.

"Princess?" said Noren offering his hand to Azula.

She hesitated, nearly snapping at him that she needed no one's help and could do it herself, but she took a deep breath and placed her hand in his. She found it frustrating that her first urge was to lash out, but she was also aware of her self-control in holding it back.

Zuko and Noren sat up front with Shiza, and soon they were on their way out of the village with all the kids running behind the wagon waving at them.

Ursa watched her village disappear as they rode on, but this time, rather than being taken away from Ikem and her family, they were all with her, and she assured herself that she would never be forced to be separated from them again.

--------------------

Arriving at the dock, crewmen were sent to unload the wagon while the family went on board the ship. Zuko walked up the gangplank with Chiara on his arm, Azula and Ursa following behind them. Behind the mother and daughter was Noren, Kiyi's hand in his and her eyes wide as they took in the ship, and though it was not nearly as large as the royal barge, for the little girl who had only seen ships from a distance during trips to the beach, it was enormous.

"Once everyone's aboard, set a course for the Capital, Captain," said Zuko.

"Yes, Prince Zuko," bowed Jee.

Kaito and Nai stood waiting for the royal couple, both relieved to see their safe return.

"Prince Zuko, Princess Chiara," Kaito greeted them with a bow.

"Kaito," said Zuko.

"I'm glad to hear your mission was a success, your Highness."

"Thank you," grinned Zuko who was more than happy at finding his mother.

Ursa was staring curiously at the guard, her mind going through a lifetime of memories. "You used to escort my son to Shu Jing," she said, finally having recognized him.

He gave a nod impressed that she remembered him. "Yes, my Lady."

She was still dealing with flashes from her past, new reminders of things that had been erased. As a mother in the palace, she had made it a point to be familiar with the faces of the guards who were in charge of her children despite the face masks they wore on duty. The mere image of the mask flashing through her mind caused a brief moment of panic inside her. It was a reminder of what she had been through, and she was trying to convince herself that though she was returning to the same place, it would not be the same situation. She was relieved, however, to find that none of the soldiers on board were masked.