Chapter 91: Interregnum II - The Prison

While Zuko and Chiara were visiting Azula, Iroh took the time to visit Capital City Prison. Followed by Ezo and Shin, he entered the Prison Tower.

"Prince Iroh," the new warden bowed deeply. "You honor us with your presence. How may I serve you?"

"Warden Anzo," said Iroh, "I'm here to see Ozai."

"Yes, sir." He bowed again and led them down the hall to a staircase.

They ascended the stone steps going higher and higher until they arrived at one of the upper floors near the top of the prison. As they walked down the corridor, another guard was walking towards them carrying a tray.

"General Iroh," said the guard as she bowed to him. "It's an honor."

Iroh smiled at the guard. "Ming, it's a pleasure to see you again, especially from this side of the bars," he said pleasantly.

"Of course, General." She glanced back down the hall. "You're here to visit...the prisoner?" Her distaste for Ozai was clear in her utterance of 'prisoner.'

"Yes," he nodded with a slight smirk of understanding.

"It's good to have you back, General." She bowed again and stepped to the side.

"I expect to see you and your family at the palace for tea, Ming," said Iroh.

She was smiling. "Yes, sir."

They continued walking until Warden Anzo stopped at a door near the end of the hall. "This is his cell, your Highness."

"Wait here," Iroh ordered his guards.

They took their place on each side of the door. Iroh took a deep, but silent breath before entering the cell. Unlike Iroh's former cell, this one had no window. He wondered if this was deliberate, if maybe there was a fear among the guards that even the smallest ray of sunlight might reignite Ozai's inner flame. On the wall there were only two small torches providing the dim light in the room. Behind the bars, his younger brother sat quietly on the floor leaning against the wall. His eyes slowly slid open when he heard the door, and he watched as Iroh stepped inside and stood silently on the other side of the bars, his hands behind his back.

"So the Fire Lord has come to gloat," spoke Ozai in a deep voice.

"I am not here to gloat," said Iroh simply. He did not correct the title.

"Then why are you here?" he growled. "Going to offer me tea? Ask for advice on being Fire Lord?" His voice dripped with condescension.

"If that were the case, it is hardly your advice I would seek, Ozai."

Without his firebending, a hateful sneer was the only thing Ozai could throw at him.

"I'm merely offering you a courtesy you never granted me during my incarcerations, Brother."

Ozai scoffed, his eyes turning away from Iroh. "You are no more a brother to me than that treacherous boy is a son," he said deeply.

Iroh had not intended to bring up Zuko with Ozai, feeling his brother was not deserving of his son, but he could not refuse the unintended invitation.

"It is a shame, Ozai, that you were so blind to Zuko's loyalty."

His head jerked towards his older brother as he cast another glare at him. "Do not speak that traitor's name!" he yelled.

Iroh paid no mind to his angry demand. "Zuko is no traitor," he spoke calmly. "He spent years looking up to you, seeking to please you, trying to earn your love. And that was after you so dishonorably burned and banished him." Ozai let out a derisive snort. "He would've done anything to have you care for him as a father should care for his son."