Chapter 70: The Great Boiling Rock Prison Breakout

"I love you, my Prince," Chiara continued whispering her mantra.

"Stop!!" yelled Zuko.

As Idem was giving the order to execute her, an enormous ring of fire shot out. Hearing painful cries, Chiara opened her eyes in time to see Zuko's mangled shackles fall to the ground as the flame that encircled him knocked down everyone around him, including the warden and the executioner. The blast he created was similar to the one he created when she had been wounded by a sword, but this flame was so strong and hot, it melted the shackles from his wrists yet left no burns on him. Everyone else was stunned that the prince could still firebend after having been in the cooler all night, and even more so by the ferocity of his firebending which was terrifying, yet impressive. Sokka, Dako, and Zomi, who had been in the quarters with the night guards, as well as Nai who had gone for them, had just come running out to see everyone around Zuko lying on the ground struggling to crawl away under the pain of their injuries, while the prince himself was attacking any other guards who had the nerve to try and stop him.

Backup arrived after Jiro released all the prisoners in lockdown, and now a full blown riot had started among the prisoners and guards. The allied guards involved in the plan did not fight as hard as they could have allowing the prisoners to gain the upper hand. Sokka discarded his Fire Nation helmet, and after freeing Hakoda from his chains, they started fighting alongside the prisoners. The specialized teams went to work breaking through to the first sector, who, once involved, set about their tasks of breaking through to the entrance yard and taking control of the gondolas.

Idem with the help of his personal guards was able to get out of the sector, and they quickly made for the entrance yard. Spotting the warden, Suki immediately ran towards him. Fire came towards her from one of his guards, and she moved to the side punching him in the chest. Another guard kicked fire at her, but not before she slid underneath his leg and threw him over her. Dodging the fire blasts of another, she kicked him away from her and grabbed Idem's hand threatening to punch him in the face.

"You wouldn't dare," he hissed.

She did not hold back and broke his nose before pulling his hands behind his back and tying them. "Sorry, Warden, you're my prisoner now." She pulled him along to the entrance yard where the members of her team stood amazed that she accomplished their task without their help.

Back in the labor sector, Zuko was aggressively fighting several guards at the same time. In one direction he threw up a wall of fire that blocked an attack from one guard, while smoothly moving to create a blast of fire that dissipated a fire missile from another, and he continued moving to send out a bright flame of his own with enough power to break through incoming fire and throw another opponent on his back. None of the allied guards would even dare to pretend to fight him as some watched in awe and fear. Zuko's mind was completely absorbed with defeating the enemy and freeing Chiara. He could feel the intensity of his inner flame, and he was sure that he had the power to easily take their lives with minimal effort to accomplish his goal. But there was a part of him that remembered that these guards were still Fire Nation citizens who were raised on the lies and only needed to understand the truth. He was in control, and he would defeat them without shedding their blood unless absolutely necessary. In his mind there were only two exceptions to his mercy in the prison.

Chiara, still chained to the post, desperately wanted to fight with Zuko and protect him as was always her desire, but she could not break free of her chains. It was clear, though, he had no need of anyone's help or protection, so she watched with complete admiration his fantastic display of firebending. His movements were smooth and flowing, almost like a waterbender, yet powerful and strong, and she could tell as she observed him that each move could have been potentially lethal if he had willed it to be. Suddenly drawing her attention from his fight, she saw Zedak angrily walking towards her preparing to throw a stream of fire in her direction. She turned her head away unable to move from its path or shield her face otherwise, and she tensed up waiting for the pain of the fire to strike her. She clenched her eyes shut, but there was no pain. When she ventured to open them she saw a wall of fire between her and Zedak, and a well-aimed missile knocked him off his feet before he could move another step. She had never been out of Zuko's watchful eye even in the middle of his battle. Before Zedak had even hit the ground, Zuko turned back sending out a blast behind him that blocked a stream of fire heading towards him from another guard and then he kicked up a burst of flame that sent his opponent to the ground. He immediately turned back to Zedak who was struggling to get up. When he looked up and saw fire in the prince's eyes as he approached him, he was immediately filled with terror, and he forced himself to his feet and hobbled off through the crowd. Unwilling to leave Chiara chained and unprotected, Zuko refused to pursue him, but before he could assist her, several guards attempted to overtake him. During his battle, he nearly threw a fire blast at someone heading towards Chiara until he realized it was Izin who had been released from his cell with the other prisoners.