Chapter 76: Ember Island

Katara was roused from sleep when she felt Appa landing, but she lay still, unsure if she was ready to face Aang and Sokka yet and the questions they would have for her. After a few minutes, she finally forced herself to sit up expecting to see their curious faces, but she was surprised instead to see a beach.

"Where are we?"

"Ember Island," said Zuko as he was climbing down from Appa. "We used to vacation here."

"Are...are we in the Fire Nation?" she asked peering down at him from over the saddle.

"Yes."

Her brow furrowed in worry. "Do you think it's safe for us to be at your old vacation spot?"

"It should be. No one'll expect us to be here."

She glanced around before jumping down next to him. "What if someone shows up?"

"No one's been here in years."

He started towards Chiara who was standing a short distance away staring at the beach where they used to play.

"Are you okay?" he asked her.

She nodded. He immediately took her in his arms and hugged her.

"What's wrong?" asked Katara walking up to them.

"There are a lot of memories here," said Zuko softly as he released Chiara.

"You came here together?" she asked.

"Yes. The whole family." He took Chiara's hand. "We should look around."

They walked up and down the beach making sure it was secluded. When they decided it was safe and isolated enough, they stopped in front of the familiar path leading to the beach house and stared up at it.

"Do you want to look inside?" he asked her.

She hesitated knowing what was just beyond the door. "I...I don't think I'm ready yet."

He nodded in understanding, not sure he was ready either. They walked back to Appa who was grazing on the beach grass.

"It's deserted enough," he said to Katara. "We can bring the others back here."

He pulled their supplies out of the saddle, and they sat on the beach and ate lunch. After allowing Appa to rest and graze, they packed up to fly back to the rest of the group.

"I'm going to stay here," said Katara staring out over the water. It might have been Fire Nation waters, but the sea still brought her some comfort.

"Do you want me to stay with you?" Chiara asked her.

"No. I...I just want to be alone."

Chiara tenderly caressed her back before turning to climb up on Appa.

"We probably won't be back until sunset," said Zuko.

"I know," she said.

Chiara pulled out fresh water and food from the saddle and handed them to Zuko.

"I'll leave these here," he said setting them on the sand next to her.

Katara nodded, and then Zuko and Chiara left on Appa to get the others, Zuko holding the reins with Chiara sitting next to him.

"Did you ever imagine yourself flying the Avatar's sky bison?" she asked him.

He smirked. "Not without kidnapping him."

"It feels much freer this way."

"You're right, it does," he said softly.

They were quiet as he thought about the last few days, and he remembered something he wanted to talk to her about.