Chapter 79: Another Startling Surprise

A/N:  I've left the new development in this chapter as originally written, and I know I'm probably going to get severely upbraided for it, but...you know...just go with it. I did write this for fun and it is fiction after all....so here it goes...

===========================

Zuko and Chiara spent hours with the villagers during which all the injured and ill had benefited from Chiara's healing. Others paid homage to the couple and tried to present them with gifts, but Zuko insisted they could not accept them as they had no means to carry them.

As much as Zuko and Chiara enjoyed spending time with the villagers, it was growing late, and Zuko knew they had to return to Ember Island. When there were no more who needed healing, he made it known that they would have to leave. Everyone in Hira'a wanted the prince and princess to remain with them for a few days, and though Zuko trusted them as allies, he did not want word of his presence in the village to reach the Capital. He was sure Ozai would punish every single villager if it was known that the banished prince had been there, welcome or not.

Shiza disappeared to get a dragon moose-drawn cart to take them to the docks so they would not have to walk the long path to the shore, and while the couple was waiting, Nersala gave Zuko a container of tea that would help Chiara with her dizzy spells. At the first opportunity, Zuko secretly offered Rizin the bag of gold that Nersala had refused. Rizin, however, did not want to take it after all Chiara had done for them, but Zuko convinced him to use it to help his parents and anyone else in need in the village.

While Nersala was talking to Chiara, Nya ran up to the princess and wrapped her arms around her waist.

"Thank you, Princess Chiara."

"Aww," she softly laughed as she knelt down to better return her embrace. "It was an honor to serve you, Lady Nya."

Zuko, who had just turned away from Rizin, immediately felt arms around his waist too. He looked down to see Kiyi holding onto him. Noren and Noriko were horrified by their daughter's lack of respect for the royal family.

"Kiyi...," said Noren.

Noriko placed her hands on her daughter's shoulders. "I'm so sorry, Prince Zuko. Please forgive her..."

Zuko just smiled at them and shook his head. "You have nothing to be sorry for."

When Kiyi released him, he saw that she was holding a bouquet of flowers.

"I'm glad you got your sight back, Fire Prince."

He smiled at her as he knelt down. "Do you know about the Dark Water Spirit in Love Amongst the Dragons?" he asked her.

"Yes. Daddy directs that play. He even has the scary mask."

"Well, I've never met a Dark Water Spirit, but it was a beautiful water goddess in human form that gave me my sight." His eyes moved to Chiara a short distance away as she was still in Nya's arms.

Kiyi looked in the same direction and she gasped. "She's a water goddess?"

"She is."

She pulled a few blooms from her bouquet and handed them to Zuko. "These are for you."

He took them from her and chuckled as he watched her run towards Chiara and wrap her arms around her and Nya.

"Kiyi," called Noriko. "You shouldn't touch the royal family..."

"It's okay, really," said Zuko standing up. "Chiara loves kids."

"Our daughter certainly seems to love her, and you as well."