Chapter 66: Hard Day at Work

When Zuko finished eating the breakfast Nai brought him shortly before shift change he put his helmet back on.

"Let's start heading towards the chow hall," said Dako to Zomi and Sokka. "We'll see you guys this afternoon," he said to Zuko and Nai.

When they had walked off, Nai looked at Zuko. "I can't believe you're really here, Your Imper...Prince Zuko," she corrected in a whisper. "I almost killed Dako thinking he was messing with me. I mean, you actually broke into Boiling Rock to rescue Princess Chiara just like you did in the Prison Tower."

"I'll do whatever it takes to get her out of here," he said.

"And I'll do whatever it takes to help you both get out of here."

He smiled. "So did you win or lose?" he asked her.

She had a puzzled expression as she looked at him. "I'm sorry?"

"I heard there was a bet about whether or not I'd break in here."

She let out a soft chuckle looking down. "I didn't bet...not that I didn't think you wouldn't do this...well...I was kind of hoping you would...I just wasn't sure how it was possible, but I don't gamble." She looked at him again. "I think it's just...incredible that you're here. I am truly honored to serve you, just as my father served with General Iroh."

It still seemed strange to him hearing Fire Nation citizens express their honor in working with him—with his uncle, the great hero and general and former Crown Prince, it was not so unusual, but to hear it about himself, it was something he had been sure he would never hear in his lifetime.

"I met your father and mother a few days ago," he said to her surprise.

"You did?"

"He found me near Xi Han. He confirmed that Chiara was being held here."

Nai felt proud of her father as she imagined him searching for the prince to tell him about the princess.

"Growing up, he always spoke of General Iroh as a great man," she said. "We're proud of what you've done for him."

Zuko nodded. "He is a great man."

"As are you."

He was so used to being seen as a traitor among his own Nation that even among his allies, it was odd to hear 'proud' in any positive sense about him.

"My brother was a soldier in the 41st Division," she said.

He glanced down. "Your father said so. I'm sorry," he said, his words barely audible.

"Many of the recruits came from our village," she said. "My parents lost their only son. When word got out that the whole division was sacrificed, we were outraged. My father immediately resigned from the army. When we learned that it was only the young prince who spoke up in defense of his people, and was then severely burned and banished, we knew you were the most honorable member of the royal family. Our village will serve you in whatever way you need."

He was speechless.

"I-I'm honored," he finally managed to get out.

"We're honored, Prince Zuko, to have such a noble leader."

"I don't feel noble," he said softly. "Those men lost their lives and there was nothing I could do to stop it."

"You were only a child then," said Nai. "But now you can make a difference. You can be the leader our Nation needs."

He appreciated her words since outside of Iroh and Chiara he was sure no one else in the Fire Nation saw him as their leader.

"I don't want it," he admitted. "At one time I would've given anything to have my place back next in line. But now...now I just want to settle down somewhere and...and live."