Chapter 83: Reunion

The Gaang was walking with the masters as they made their way to the White Lotus camp.

"So, Bumi," started Sokka, "how did you end up escaping your imprisonment in Omashu?"

"Escape?" he said. "I didn't escape. Everybody else escaped. There I was back in Omashu waiting for just the right moment. I didn't know what or when, but I knew I'd know it when I knew it. It was during the eclipse. I was able to break free from my cage and the firebenders were powerless to do anything about it."

Chiara softly chuckled as she imagined the Fire Nation fleeing Bumi's wrath.

"I destroyed their buildings and removed the Fire Lord's statue...."

"Wow!" said Suki. "You took back your whole city all by yourself!"

"So what about you guys?" asked Bumi. "Did you do anything interesting on the day of the eclipse?"

Sokka and Zuko looked at each other.

"Nah," said Zuko.

"No, not really," said Sokka.

"Master Pakku," started Katara, "you never told me you trained another girl."

"Our customs forbade women from learning waterbending, but Chiara's circumstances...they were...uh...unique," he said.

"Unique how? Because she lived in the Fire Nation?" asked Katara.

"Mostly because I lost a Pai Sho game to Grand Lotus Iroh," he admitted in a lowered voice.

The others started laughing. Chiara grinned, remembering Iroh telling her that her training was discussed over a game of Pai Sho.

As they continued walking, Chiara's hand on Zuko's arm, he slowed down a little bit so they trailed behind the others.

"So, several disappointed young men?" he asked her softly, not forgetting Pakku's comment.

She smiled. "I'm sure he's exaggerating."

"Or you are."

She softly laughed.

"So what young men is he talking about?" he persisted.

"None that matter any more."

"It matters to me," he said.

"Why does it matter to you?" she asked.

"Men being interested in my wife matter to me."

"This coming from someone who was just mobbed by a gang of zealous teenage girls wanting him to strip..."

"Okay, okay...that's not..." He sighed. "Don't change the subject."

She giggled. "It was a long time ago, my Prince."

"So he wasn't exaggerating! When?!"

Katara and Sokka looked back at him startled by his raised voice.

"Hey, Z," said Sokka, "you okay there, buddy?"

"Fine," he said flatly. He leaned closer to Chiara. "When?" he repeated in more of a whisper.

"Before the General and I left the Northern Water Tribe."

"And how many is several? Like three? Ten? Fifty?"

"Seriously?" she laughed. "I hardly think it was that many. He only mentioned that there had been a few offers of marriage, and he thought it would be wise to choose from the Water Tribe."

He thought about all they had been through.

"I'm really glad you didn't," he said softly.

"Me too," she smiled.