Chapter 84: Heading into Battle

The next day everyone was saying their goodbyes as they were preparing to separate to follow their plans. Sozoh and Zaro sat atop one eel hound, and Toph and Suki sat on top of another. Except for Toph who just wore her Fire Nation reds, they were dressed as Fire Nation soldiers, though Sokka still carried his trusty boomerang and space sword.

"Nothing runs faster over land or swims quicker than a giant eel hound," said Piandao. He handed a map to Sokka. "The airship base is on a small island just off the Earth Kingdom shore." Sokka unrolled the map and scanned it. "You should be able to intercept the fleet within a day's journey."

Sokka rolled up the map. "Thank you, Master."

They bowed to each other, and then Sokka hugged Piandao before climbing on the eel hound with Suki and Toph.

Next to Appa, Iroh took Chiara in his arms and hugged her.

"I wish I could be with you during the comet," she said to him. "I bet you're going to be incredible."

"And you no less incredible with your own firebending," he said. "But be careful. Azula may target you in order to hurt Zuko."

"I'll be careful."

When Iroh released her, Zuko stepped forward to hug his uncle.

"As soon as I free Ba Sing Se, I will join you in the Fire Nation, Nephew."

Zuko nodded. "We'll see you then, Uncle."

He and Chiara climbed onto Appa where Katara, Izin, and Kaito were already waiting in the saddle.

"Goodbye, General Iroh," said Katara.

"Goodbye, everyone," he said. "Today destiny is our friend. I know it," he whispered.

They all parted.

--------------------

Chiara was sitting on Appa's head with Zuko as they flew over the Earth Kingdom on their way to the Fire Nation.

"We're going to make Azula play the Dark Water Spirit this time," said Zuko.

"I don't know...I have fond memories of the Great Water Spirit."

He smiled at the memories, his cheeks growing slightly red. "Then one day we'll rule as the Great Water Spirit and the Dragon Empress."

"Or you can be the Dragon Emperor and I'll be the Water Spirit," she said.

"All those times we reenacted that play, and you actually were the Great Water Spirit."

She laughed as she leaned against him. "So are you looking forward to being Fire Lord one day?"

He thought about it. "For a long time I believed that's what I was meant for—that it was my destiny to be Fire Lord. But now, not so much. I think I'd be happier just living in our little cave or in the cabin...or even at the beach house."

She caressed his arm.

"What about you?" he asked. "Are you looking forward to being Fire Lady?"

"I-I haven't really processed it yet." It had never been an idea that she considered, or even wanted to consider. "I guess I won't be able to help out in the kitchen anymore..."

He started laughing. "That's what you're worried about?"

"I enjoyed hanging out with Tai and Amiku and the other staff."

"You'll be busy with the kids now," he said.

"Kids," she smiled. "You're right. I like that. That sounds better."