Chapter 74: Surprise Attack

Azula was sitting in the Warden's chair behind his desk. Across from her sat Idem with her two Imperial Firebenders standing behind him and one of her guards standing at the door.

"So, Warden, explain to me exactly how my brother was able to break into and out of the most impregnable prison in the Fire Nation."

Idem felt more than intimidated at being interrogated by the young princess. "Well, we're not exactly sure how he managed to get inside, your Highness. The best we can determine is that he arrived on a supply ship."

"Right...a supply ship coming from the Fire Nation," said Azula unconvinced. "Prince Zuko hasn't been seen in the Fire Nation since the eclipse. Considering he has a very distinguishing feature..." She placed her left hand over her eye. "...I find it unlikely that he was able to board a ship without being noticed."

"We haven't had any guards transferred here in a few months, but he was posing as a guard for at least a week, and the last supply ship had delivered here only a few days before anyone noticed the new guards."

"Guards?" she asked stressing the plural.

"He brought at least one accomplice with him—went by the name of Lee."

"Clearly an alias," she said. She stood up and leisurely walked about the room. "My brother is collecting traitors to form an army. It seems to be the most logical reason he would choose to break into a prison full of them."

"There is another reason, your Highness," he said.

She was standing by a window examining the entrance yard. "What other reason could he possibly have to break in here?" she asked still gazing at the empty yard.

"Over a month ago we brought in his Water Tribe concubine..."

She quickly turned to him. "What?!" The sharp glare from her eyes made him visibly nervous, and he shifted uncomfortably. "And you conveniently thought to leave that information out?!"

"I-I didn't realize it was of any importance being that she was just a Water Tribe savage," he said trying to dig himself out of a hole he had not expected to be in.

"She is wanted in the Fire Nation for being a spy and for desecrating royal property. How did you even manage to capture her?" she demanded as if it were a feat above his capability.

He now feared any explanation would get him in trouble. "I-I heard of a waterbender near the Western Air Temple and sent a unit to apprehend her."

"Without informing the Capital?"

"At first I wasn't sure it was the same savage."

"You obviously figured it out after a month."

"Y-yes, Princess, but I didn't realize she was wanted by the Capital. It was rumored that she had been executed already, so I didn't want to trouble the Fire Lord with such a scandal." Surely expressing his concern for the Fire Lord's reputation rather than his own personal vendetta would be a safer option.

"Did you think you would use her to lure Prince Zuko to the prison, capture him yourself?"

"I hadn't put out any claims she was here. I'm not sure how he discovered it."

"Well, he did discover it," she said deeply. "Leave it to Zuzu to break into this prison for her," she added in an undertone. "And not only did he take her, but he took all the traitors with him," her voice rising again. He tried not to cower beneath her angry glare. "Tell me, how did my idiot brother manage to escape from this isolated prison with every single prisoner?"