34 ❥ a mother's love

"Are you sure you want to do this?" I ask Alyssa before getting into the car

"Yes Ash, I wanna see her." She says while playing with the bouquet in her hands.

"Alright."

It's currently Christmas Day and I woke up feeling...sad.

Christmas is not a day of celebration and spending time with loved ones in my house, it's a day full of sadness, anger, and grief.

Today marks the 4th anniversary of my mom's death.

My mom was truly one of a kind.

Ashley Phoenix was an angel sent to Earth, she was by far the kindest, confident, funny, generous person to ever walk the planet.

She loved spending time with kids more than adults. She was a pediatrician so she spent most of her days with kids and when she came home she spent the rest of her day with Alyssa and me.

"Do you remember the time mom tried to make Christmas cookies?" Alyssa quietly laughs.

"How could I forget, she almost burned down the house." I laugh.

"Mommy! Ash and I want to bake cookies for Christmas!" My sister yells as she runs into the kitchen.

"That's a great idea baby! Wanna help me get the ingredients?" She asks us.

"Yes!" Lyss and I say at the same time before heading in different directions to grab the ingredients.

Soon enough Alyssa came back with the flour, sugar, and measuring cups while I returned with the eggs, oil, and milk.

"Alright, shall we begin?" My mom asks.

Alyssa and I quickly nod our heads before she starts throwing a bunch of ingredients in a bowl.

"Uh, mom?"

"Yes?"

"Shouldn't you be using the measuring cups?" I ask.

"Honey, I've made these a million times. I think I have the recipe down." She laughs.

"I still think you should use the cups," Alyssa says.

"Next time." She says.

Soon enough she lets Alyssa and I take turns stirring the runny batter and attempt to knead it into a dough.

"Mommy, how are we supposed to cut shapes out? It's like cake batter." Alyssa asks.

"Uh...how about we bake it first and then cut out shapes?" My mom asks.

"Okay," I say before she pours the mixture onto a tray and puts it in the oven.

"How long should I put the timer?" I ask.