New Jersey

Natasha's POV
"Where did Captain America learn to steal a car?" I ask Steve who is focusing his eyes on the road. "Nazi Germany. And we're borrowing. Get your feet off the dash." I roll my eyes and putting my feet off. I look behind from the rear view mirror and y/n is fast asleep.

"Alright, I have a question for you, which you do not have to answer. I feel like if you don't answer it, though, you're kind of answering it, you know?" I grin at him. "What?" Steve cut me off. "was that your first kiss since 1945?" I try to hide my laugh with a smirk.

"That bad huh?"
"I didn't say that." I try to defend myself.
"Well it kind sounds like that's what you're saying." he argued.
"No, I didn't. I just wondered how much practice you had." still asking him eagerly.
"I don't need practice."
"Everybody needs practice." I cut him off.
"It was not my first kiss since 1945. I'm 95, I'm not dead." he stated seriously.
"Nobody special, though?" I'm still trying to annoy him with my questions. He just reply with a chuckle.

"I'm worried about y/n." I move to my real concern. "she just 14 and she's having a suicide mission with hydra....a place she's been before." I look out the window and wipe the tears that starts running down. "she knows the ghost?" He ask with a concern look. "she made a guess and I'm sure she confirmed it after I told you the whole thing five years ago." Steve then take my hand in his. "we will protect her. She's my little devil after all." he gives me a reassuring smile.

"The truth is a matter of circumstances, it's not all things to all people all the time and neither am I." I reply with a sigh. "That's a tough way to live." he look at me. "It's a good way not to die though." I turn to him.

"You know, it's kind of hard to trust someone when you don't know who that someone really is." he stated with serious face. "Yeah. Who do you want me to be?" I ask him before turn my eyes on the road. "How about a friend?" he turn at me. "Well, there's a chance you might be in the wrong business, Rogers." I let out a chuckle.

A few minutes later, we arrive at the old base. I turn behind "hey malyshka, wake up. We're here." I nudge her softly. She wakes up and rub her eyes few times. "Thanks. Sorry for sleeping. Couldn't hold my eyes." I giggle and help her out from the truck. "good morning little devil. Hope you have a wonderful sleep." Steve tease her. "shut up grandpa." alright note to self don't you dare tease a grumpy y/n.

"This is it?" y/n ask checking the surroundings. "well the file came from these coordinates." I reply. "So did I." Steve reply realising something. "This camp is where I was trained." Steve told us while we're scanning the whole base. "okay weird question. How can you get to be in the military when you are not qualified for the height and weight?" y/n ask bluntly.

"Consider it as a fate. My best buddy Bucky help me in." he reply with a sad tone. y/n then walk towards him and pat him at the shoulder. "he proud of you Steve. If he still here, I would love to meet him." they both chuckle and Steve nod at her.

"This is a dead end. Zero heat signatures, zero waves, not even radio. Whoever wrote the file must have used a router to throw people off." I sigh.

y/n's POV
"what's wrong?" I ask Steve realise he is looking at one of the warehouse not to far from us. "Army regulations forbid storing munitions within 500 yards of the barracks. This building is in the wrong place." he then breaks the lock using his shield. We go down the stairs and I turn on the lights. It is an old office. "This is SHIELD." Nat says as we saw the logo. "maybe where it started." Steve reply and keep going until we found a storage room maybe. We stopped when we saw three portraits hanging at the wall.

"and there's Stark's father." Nat pointing at the middle picture. "not gonna lie he is way more style than dad." I said with a giggle. "Howard." Steve reply. Natasha then point at the only woman. "who's the girl?" She ask and he just left us both without answering. I smirk and starts to sing "I would never fall in love until I found you...." Steve gives me a death stare and I laugh at his reaction.

Steve then found two strange shelves. "if you already working in a secret office..." I share a look with him and start to push the 'shelf'. "....why do you need to hide the elevator?" I continue. Nat then scan the password for the elevator and we go down to the basement. As the door swing open, reveal a different room. "creative way to hide." we then keep moving and suddenly the lights were on automatically. We see old computers with more old stuff with it.

"This can't be the data point. This technology is ancient." she then plugged in the drive and the whole thing worked on. 'Initiate system?' an electronic voice speaking. Nat go and type yes. I notice an old camera scanning our face.

'Rogers, Steven, born 1918.' the camera then turn to natasha. 'Romanoff, Natalia Alianovna, born 1984.' lastly the camera stops at me. 'Agersia, y/n Matthew, born 2001.' We all look at each other. "Well thanks for reminding me being the youngest but I prefer Matthew as my last name and you miss Steve's middle name, Grant." I told to whoever inside the computer.

"It's some kind of recording." Nat state. 'I am not a recording, fraulein.' he reply with an annoyed tone. "Sassy computer I like it." Nat then smack my arm. 'I might not be the man I was when the captain took me prisoner in 1945 but I am.' he replied with his real face shown at a smaller monitor. "So you know this robot?" I ask Steve.

"Arnim Zola was a Germany scientist who worked for the red skull. He's been dead for years." Steve explain. 'First correction, I am Swiss. Second, look around you. I have never been more alive.' he proudly say. "oh yeah? Living in a computer is a fun way to live? Well count me in." I said sarcastically. Zola then told us the whole how it started for him.

"How did you get in here?" Steve ask after long blabbering of himself.' Invited.' he replied. "it was operation paperclip after World War 2. SHIELD recruited German scientists with strategic value." Nat explain. 'They thought I could help their cause. I also helped my own.' I'm getting impatient with this computer. "Hydra died with the red skull." Zola then reply 'cut off one head, two more shall take its place.' I let out a heavy sigh. "Prove it.." he argued. "Well, if you didn't believe, where do you think I go a year ago? More specifically how did I get super soldier serum Rogers?" I look him deep in the eyes. He then realised everything that Zola said.

"y/n I-I'm sorr-" I put my hand up to stop him. "Save it Rogers. Just listen to the computer." Zola then explain how HYDRA actually started. I just stare at the monitor until Steve smashed the monitor. 'As I was saying...' Steve then cut him off. "What's on this drive?" he ask with full of mad on his face. 'Project insight requires insight. So I wrote an algorithm. Nat cut him off this time. "What kind of algorithm? What does it do?" Zola answers calmly. 'The answer to your question is fascinating. Unfortunately, you shall be too dead to hear it.' The door then suddenly closing. Steve throws his shield but fail to block the door.

"Steve, we got a bogey. Short range ballistic. 30 seconds top." Nat informed. "Who fired it?" Steve ask. "SHIELD." My face dropped and run to Natasha while Steve open the a rail. I grab her hands jumping down the rails and covers her head with my arms. Steve covers us with his shield. The building completely fall onto us. After few moments, both me and Steve push the big piece that fell on us to the side. "Natalia! Hey, hey wake up. Steve!" I slap her face softly but no response from her. "Alright kid, I need you to carry Nat and follow me. Can you?" I nod and carry her out. We then realise 'SHIELD' approaching. "This way! Come on kid." Steve then lead us out.

We finally get to a safe place for a moment. I put Nat on the ground with her head on my lap. "Come on don't do this to me sis. I'm not ready to let you go yet." I move few hair that cover her face. Suddenly she sit up and coughing. "hey hey I got you." I rub her back. I pull her for a forehead touch. "like the old days huh?" I giggle and nod. "yeah like the old days you stupid." I then pull out and kiss her head. "We need a place to lay low." I finally turn to Steve who just watching us both. "I know one."