Chapter 17: Statue of a murder

The day after my break in at the Whyt Wyrm me and Jughead went down to the Mayor's office. I don't want to go down there but Jughead thought it was best if I came with.

She was sat at her desk with her hands folded on the table while me and Jughead stood by the chairs instead of sitting in them.

"This witch-hunt has to end, Mayor. The serpents had nothing to do with that beheading. You know that and in the meantime, you're gonna tighten the screws, you'll send Sheriff Keller to sow seeds of unrest, threaten to take our homes away?" Jughead started.

"And threaten to take me to jail for something I didn't do." I continued with my arms folded over my chest.

"Since when do you care about the statue of a murder?" Jughead asked flailing his arms everywhere.

"Since Governor Dooley called and read me the Riot Act. That statue cost him a lot of money. He's furious." Mayor McCoy answered.

"And you're suppose to be an ally, Mayor McCoy!" Jughead exclaimed raising his voice.

"So why are you doing this? Unless it's..." I started but that's when it hit me.

Hermione and Hiram Lodge have been messing up a lot of things lately. So what if this isn't Mayor McCoy acting but the Lodges?

Oh I'm so going to kill Veronica.

"Who's pulling you strings?" Me and Jughead asked in unison.

It's clear Jughead was thinking the exact same thing I was. And it's kinda funny how well our minds work alike. We're usually always on the same page.

"Is it Hiram Lodge?" We continued to ask.

"You're bright kids, Jughead and Y/n. I've always liked you guys. So listen to what I'm telling you..." Mayor McCoy said softly before raising her voice to be more stern, "Back down!"

Both me and Jughead walked out devestated but then Mayor McCoy asked for me to stand back a little bit. Jughead raised an eyebrow and I told him I'd be outside soon.

Once Jughead was gone and the door was all the way shut I turned to look at Mayor McCoy. She had one of the biggest frowns I've ever seen.

She's clearly upset.

But I want to know what that has to do with me.

Mayor McCoy waved her hand towards one of the light velvet blue chairs. I slowly took a seat and looked to Mayor McCoy.

"You and Jughead weren't wrong about Hiram Lodge. And since I do like you I want you to know one thing..." Mayor McCoy started dragging on her last sentance.

Just by the way she talked I knew that it was serious. Which made me shift in my seat as I waited for her to answer.

"Hiram Lodge has a lot planned and unfortunatly my hands are tied in this sitatuation." Mayor McCoy continued to say.

"Why are you telling me this?" I asked confused.

"Because I believe in you and I need your help working against Hiram Lodge. My hands may be tied but yours aren't." Mayor McCoy said before slipping me her email, "I'm not the one who wants you behind bars."

- Time skip -

I was sitting in the booth next to Jughead as Betty was sitting across from us. I don't know why we're talking to her because this was never the original plan.

Jughead was suppose to drop me off at home a half an hour ago.

"Thank you for meeting with us." Jughead started, "Your the only person in this town that we can talk to about something like this."

"Before you do, can I just point out one thing?" Betty asked.

"I know what you're going to say." Jughead answered but I want to know.

What was Betty going to say?

"Last time the Serpents and I were in trouble, I pushed you away." Jughead said not even caring that I was sitting right next to him.

As much as I would love to be here for Jughead, this seems more like a him and Betty situation. Plus Betty barley even knows me.

"What do you need guys?" Betty asked but she doesn't seem like herself.

"Mayor McCoy thinks the Serpents were the ones who vandalized the statue of General Pickens." Jughead explained and that made me remember something.

I only have one day to figure out who really did vandalize the statue before I'm sent to jail. And that will just give Hiram Lodge exactly what he wants.

My only question is, why does Hiram Lodge want me behind bars? I've never really talked to him and I'm not very well known around Riverdale.

"And now, suddenly, we have 14 days to vacate Sunnyside Trailer Park." Jughead explained his situation.

"And if I don't find out who vandalized the statue by tomarrow I'm going to be behind bars until I admit to the crime I didn't do." I explained my part of the situation.

But I still don't know what all of this has to do with Betty.

"What...that's illegal." Betty said shacking her head vigirasly.

"Technially the trailer park's on town property, and not everyone has paid their rent." Jughead explained.

"No not what's happening at the trailor park, what's happening to Y/n." Betty said looking at me with a half hearted smile.

"What?" I asked confused.

"They can't put you behind bars unless they find the head in your custody, and even then you deserve a court trial at least." Betty explained grabbing one of my hands.

And I have to admit her hand around mine was really comforting.

"Let's try finding the head and then both of our problems will be solved." Jughead said wrapping an arm around my shoulder and sqeezing it tightly.