Skull Stuck

The teens huddled together closely under skull rock, their bleeding bodies slightly shaking in fear as the loud, sickening, sound of the screeching bats reverberated over their heads like roars of thunder. 

Bright red lightning filled the ash-filled sky of the upside-down, illuminating their scared, anxious faces every now and then. They didn't know how long they had been sitting there, drowning in their own silence, but all they could do was hope for this nightmare to be over soon.

They were waiting for the threatening and loud cries of the bats to die out, to wash away like retreating waves into the ocean. Their eyes were skimming over the sky, staring at the outlines of the blood-thirsty bats that were scouting the woods for them. The bats were hungry and impatient, the only thing on their small, linked minds was to find the four teenagers and rip them to shreds.

Eddie had his arm over Adira's shoulders and he had pulled her into his side softly, her head was buried in his shoulder, his hand tracing small shapes on her shoulder blade as he rested the side of his head on the top of hers. 

He could feel her chest slowly rising up and down against him, he had to keep looking at her to make sure that she was still alive, the spaces between her breath were only seeming to get alarmingly longer. 

He wanted to get her out of here and get her to the hospital, he didn't know how much time she had left before she passed out again, but even with Robin's jacket wrapped tightly around her wounds, the girl was still leaking blood at an extreme and alarming pace. Hold on Adira, I'm going to get you out of here.

Eddie's eyes were constantly switching between the sky and the girl on his shoulder, his heartbeat increasing more and more every minute as the heart-wrenching thoughts of Adira not making it out of here crossed his mind. 

What if they couldn't get out of there in time before she bled out? What if all of them didn't make it out? What if she tried something stupid again to try and save them like she always did?

He lifted his head and placed a soft kiss on the top of her head, his sad eyes lingering on her blood and dirt-covered face. Adira's heart ached in her chest. She wanted to look up at him, and glance into his chocolate brown eyes, but she couldn't manage to muster the strength to do so as she lay there. She was so tired and it was taking everything in her right now to stay awake. She managed to grab onto his hand, giving it a small squeeze as she intertwined their fingers together. 

After what felt like forever, the bats finally left, the deafening sound slowly dying out as they watched the retreating bats. Robin was the first one to let out a long sigh of relief, forcing her legs forwards as she stumbled out from under the rock. Sticks and leaves crunched loudly under her feet as she straightened up, looking over at the bats, "okay," she muttered in relief.

Eddie removed his arm from Adira's shoulders and instead, wrapped his arm around her waist, helping her to stand up as they all followed after Robin, stepping out from under Skull rock where they had been stuck for the last hour or so. "Well that was boring as bat shit... literally," Adira muttered out, her eyes falling on the ground where there were a few piles of steaming black goop which had fallen from the bats.

"That was close," Nancy muttered out in relief as she stood up and began to adjust her clothes a little bit. They were all dishevelled from fighting the bats and running around the woods. All of them were beyond tired and pretty much fed up with all of the shit that was going on, but they had to keep going, they hadn't gotten this far just to give up so easily.

"Yeah, too fucking close," Steve muttered out, running his hands through his hair, sure they were going through hell right now, but of course, he had to make sure that his hair still looked amazing, he was Steve the hair Harrington after all.