Completely Comfortable

Eddie and Steve had sat in the room for hours in complete silence. Eddie sat on the girls bed, his eyes continually looking around the room, taking everything in. He believed that you could tell what kind of person someone is based on their room.

The band posters scattered over the wall, the photos that were pinned with thumbtacks... she definitely wasn't a minimalist, but you wouldn't of had to of seen her room to know that. She was sporty too... her socker ball in the corner next to a basketball. She loved shoes, she had them all over her room, and they were expensive ones too, there had to be thousands of dollars worth of shoes in there.

She had lots of pillows on her bed too, but they weren't neat, they had been thrown on their quickly along with the millions of soft toys.

Steve sat in the middle of the room, his legs tucked up with his arms wrapped around his knees. His head was buried in his knees as he rocked back and forwards, small sobs leaving his body as he mourned for his sister.

Eddie didn't have much of a family, all he had was his uncle who was luckily still around, so he didn't know what it felt like to lose a family member. He imagined it to be completely earth shattering, like the walls were closing in around you as water was being poured on you from above. The room would fill and you would try to get air, but you're drowning. You gasp and gasp for air, but there is none. And then you feel your body burning, your insides pounding as you beg for it to all be over and yet all you can do is wait... wait until you finally take your last breath and the pain is gone.

But death is a chain reaction. Every time someone dies, the pain is passed on because a life has been taken. Not just taken from the world, but taken from the lives of others, and it leave a hole that will never truely go away.

That was how Eddie imagined that Steve was feeling right now. "I should have been there, I should have been there to protect her," Steve cried out, reaching up and tugging at his hair violently

It then dawned on Eddie that they didn't know. They didn't know how she had actually died. They thought that the bats had gotten her and ripped her apart, they didn't know the truth.

How she had taken the wounds and the pain from Eddie. How she had done so willingly to save his life, despite knowing that she was going to die in the process.

"It isn't your fault," Eddie choked out softly it's mine.

It's all my fault

The words continued to play through his mind as if it were a broken radio, only playing a segment of one song. He wanted to tell Steve that it was his fault, that she had died saving him but he couldn't get the words out.

He felt disgusted and he felt mad. Why would she do that? Why would she give away her life, a life with meaning and love, for someone who was only going to waste his life away and probably die young doing some stupid shit anyways

"I'm so sorry," Eddie whispered. They sat there  for hours before Eddie realised that it was time to go home, time to see his uncle.

The next day, Eddie had come back to the Harrington household and so had the police. Steve hadn't left the room, he was lying on the bed facing the wall when Eddie had walked in. When the police came over to check on Steve and see if he was ready for questioning, Eddie had let them in. The cops got the shock of their lives when they saw the Munson boy, but they begged them to hear them out and so they did.

Eddie took them upstairs and showed the tapes to the police and for now it was all under investigation, but the town had been told that Eddie Munson had been investigated and is believed to not be a suspect of the case, despite what they had first believed and that new evidence had been released.