Only love can hurt like this

Warnings- angst. If u love Kirk then this is not for u lmfao. Sorry xoxo

                  JAMES HETFIELD

The air in the room suddenly felt too cold and tense to breathe in

The air in the room suddenly felt too cold and tense to breathe in . Shifting uncomfortably in the hard wood ,  dining table chair as she determinedly kept her gaze down . Up and side to side . Just anywhere but at him . Unable to swallow the look of anger and hurt that was written across his upset face , at her .

She had known that eventually it would come to this. That fairytales didn't last forever and playing house with someone before going home with someone else , well, it was bound to all come crashing down at some point . There was only so much hurt and guilt that people could take .

And guilt did they both feel. So much guilt but not enough regret to ever change what they had done. It was too late now . Much too late .

James was leant tensely against the dining room doorframe that separated the kitchen from the living room. His large frame shadowing the sun and blocking any sudden exit she wished to run to then, finally managing to corner her after a week of her evading his presence .

Clenching down on his jaw painfully , he swallowed down the lump in his throat and inhaled sharply .

Finally opening his mouth and speaking the first words between them since he had arrived ten minutes ago. Letting himself into her house , their home. Evidence of a relationship that wasn't his , picture frames hung up on the wall of her cuddled up with someone who wasn't him.

It made the pain dig even deeper .

"Why?" Was all he softly muttered out , throat dry as his eyes stayed glued to the hand that was clenched around the cup of coffee in her hand. The shining diamond sparkling from her finger mocking him , making the pain worsen as each second ticked by.

Cherrie inhaled shakily , still not looking at him. Not able to . Blinking back the tears that so desperately wanted to sting her eyes , she put on the act that she was so good at .