Chapter 56: The Tea Party

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

- Lewis Carrol, The Jabberwocky

YOU ARE INVITED TO MIHO-CHAN'S MAD HATTER'S TEA PARTY BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION AT THE HIIRAGIZAWA RESIDENCE, JUNE 3RD

******

"Tomoyo-chan what did you get for Miho-chan's birthday?" asked Sakura, hugging close to her a tea set wrapped in pretty orange and yellow wrapping paper. The two girls walked up the steps to the Hiiragizawa residence front door.

"You'll see soon," replied Tomoyo mysteriously. She rang the doorbell to the front door.

Nakuru, dressed in a splendid floor-length gown, greeted them. Her long coppery hair was twisted up into a high up-do. "Come on in, come on in. Please go upstairs to get dressed."

"Hoe?" Sakura turned to Tomoyo. "Miho's party's a dress-up party?"

"Yes, it's an Alice in Wonderland costume party—we're supposed to get dressed as all the characters. Tomoyo-senpai designed all the costumes for me!" declared Miho, dressed in a sky blue dress with a white apron with lace hems and a large blue ribbon around her head. "Alice in Wonderland used to be one of my favorite books when I was little. Eriol and my favorite book is Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. That's where the Jabberwocky poem is from, but most people don't realize that."

"The book seems like nonsensical gibberish to me," stated Nakuru. "Well now, come on. We still need to get you two dressed.

Tomoyo and Sakura were ushered upstairs by Nakuru and they changed into their respective costumes—Tomoyo and Sakura were dressed in matching dresses as Twiddledee and Twiddledum.

"Why?" protested Sakura as Tomoyo fastened a red ribbon in her hair. "What am I supposed to be?"

"Twiddledee," replied Nakuru, the Duchess, looking over her checklist. "Or Twiddledum; which ever Tomoyo-chan isn't."

Sakura patted the large blue bow on her head, matching with Tomoyo's, which was red. She gaped when she saw what looked like a large, white bird soar straight into the window.

"What is the emergency?" asked Yue, flying in through the window. He glanced around suspiciously. "I don't sense a dark force."

"Oh, there you are," said Nakuru, handing Yue white bunny ears and looked over her guest list. "Mr. White Rabbit, check."

Yue frowned holding up the bunny ears with the tip of his fingers disdainfully. "You called me all the way over here to dress me up in this?"

Nakuru grinned cheekily. "It's Miho-chan's birthday. It was her explicit wish to see Yue dressed up like a rabbit."

Sakura remarked, "I remember when I got sucked into the Alice in Wonderland book back in fifth grade, Yukito-san was the White Rabbit."

"I remember," Tomoyo exclaimed. "We were so worried back then when you suddenly disappeared into the Alice in Wonderland book in the library."

At this, Sakura, glazing over Tomoyo's intentional leaving out of who the other person had been, stated, "That's right—Yukito-san was the White Rabbit, onii-chan was the Mad Hatter, Tomoyo-chan was Humpty Dumpty..." She trailed off. And Syaoran had been Twiddledee and Twiddledum. Sakura almost smiled at the recollection of Syaoran in a penguin-suit in her little trip to Wonderland. "And Eriol-kun was..."