Prologue

How long have I stayed in Japan? Has it already been two years? Li Syaoran frowned slightly as he stared out the window of his room. The leaves were beginning to take hues of golden and brown. Things had been quiet for several months now. He was starting to lead a more normal life without worrying about Clow Cards, Clow Reed, or any of the complex problems that evolved around battling. Looking at a leaf falling gently with the breeze, Syaoran ruefully smiled. Anyway, though it had been hard, it was fun while it lasted.

Ring, ring! Syaoran's thoughts were interrupted. He could hear his butler Wei get the phone.

He walked to the living room. "Who is it, Wei?"

"It is your mother."

"My mother!" What could she possibly want from me? With shaking hands, Syaoran took the receiver. "M-mother?"

"Syaoran, my loved son! How long it has been since I last heard your voice! So, how are you these days? You aren't sick? Do you eat well? Well, I'm sure Wei is taking good care of you,"Li Ielan said.

Syaoran frowned. It wasn't like his mother to babble on. "Mother, why did you call? It's not my birthday, nor any special occasion."

"Why, can't I even talk to my own son! Well, actually, I do have a reason." She paused, "I want you to come home."

"Home?" Syaoran's mind raced. Home. Japan was his home now, with all his friends and sense of happiness and belonging. There was no way he possibly could leave it. Hong Kong seemed miles away, another life. "I-I can't!"

"What do you mean? The Clow Cards are captured, though I am disappointed in your part of it. You were supposed to represent the Li clan. Anyway, I'm sure that you don't need to stay and help that girl, the Clow Card Mistress any longer."

How does she know that I helped Sakura?

"It's time that you returned home to your family and relatives. It is ridiculous to have a boy your age living all on your own."

Suddenly, he felt tired and worn out. "Yes Mother, whatever you say...Good-bye."

Syaoran sighed heavily as he put the phone down and trudged back to his room. Taking out his long neglected sword form his closet, he did a few whipping passes with it to cool off his frustration. Then he slammed the sword into the floor and plopped upon his bed.

* * * * * *

"Sakura-chan, doesn't Li-kun seem strange, today?" Daidouji Tomoyo asked. "He's been frowning and sighing."

Kinomoto Sakura laughed. "Doesn't that mean that he is in his usual mood?"

"No, there's something on his mind."

Yanagisawa Naoko butted in, "Maybe he's haunted by a ghost!"

"No, maybe he's in love. He's thinking how to propose!" Sasaki Rika exclaimed.

During break, Sakura walked up to Syaoran. Gently, she asked, "Syaoran-kun, is anything the matter?"

Abruptly, he replied, "I'm going back to Hong Kong."

To cover up her astonishment and disappointment, she stammered, "Oh-oh. I guess that's wonderful for you. You must miss your family and home. After all, you have no reason to stay in Japan."

Syaoran scowled. Suddenly, from behind him, Takashi Yamazaki interrupted, "In the ancient Asiatic days, the Chinese warriors often traveled to accomplish their missions. They had to adjust to many places to fight nobly. They were honored and welcomed by the people where ever they went, since they were legendary. Yet, they say that one's true home is where their heart lies. Their heart lies where their most loved one, their soul mate..."