Chapter 59.5: Halloween SpecialMasquerade

When the leaves turned orange and crimson and the weather grew crisp and cold in the town of Tomoeda, it was a sign that a very certain day was coming along. Pumpkins were carved and set out in front of stores and candy corn, caramel apples and chocolate was sold in masses. It was Kero-chan's favorite event of the year because he could fill his belly with candy to his heart content.

"Look at what I found in the mail," said Kinomoto Sakura, carrying back a black and gold envelope from the Kinomoto residence postbox. "Who can it be from?"

Touya took a sip of coffee. "Open it up."

Carefully, Sakura opened the envelope. Inside was a black card with fancy golden script. "Kinomoto Touya-sama, you are invited to the Hoshi Enterprise sponsored Halloween Masquerade at the Hoshi Plaza Hotel, 7:00 p.m., October 31," she read out loud

"Hoshi Enterprise sponsored?" Touya raised an eyebrow. "I didn't know that Kinhoshi Hospital resident interns are invited to those sort of fancy events. I can't go anyway. I have shift on that day."

"There's an invitation for me too!" exclaimed Sakura, holding up a second black card. "It's says to Kinomoto Sakura-sama."

Kinomoto Fujitaka frowned slightly, carrying out the hotcakes from the kitchen and setting the platter at the center of the dining table. "Sakura-san, if you are not busy that day, you might want to attend."

"Will you come with me, otou-san?" asked Sakura. "Since onii-chan is busy."

"I'm too old for those kind of events," replied Fujitaka. "But why don't you check if Tomoyo-san can accompany you?"

"Kaijuu, you're late for school," remarked Touya, chomping on his second hotcake. "What do you do without me waking you up every morning, for heaven's sake?"

"Hoeee!!!" Sakura grabbed her book bag and bento and dashed out the front door, still chewing on her hotcake.

After his little sister left, Touya fingered the black envelope. "Otou-san, why do you think grandfather suddenly invited Sakura and me to this event?" he asked, turning to his father. "He never paid attention to us before."

"I don't know," replied Fujitaka gravely. "But Sakura-san is now sixteen. And you have built up a certain reputation at the hospital—otou-sama, your grandfather, is very whimsical. It is like him to take interest all of a sudden."

"You're certainly not going to let Sakura go to that event then?" Touya said. "You don't know what he's planning."

"But he's never taken interest in his grandchildren before... He has a right to see Sakura, and what a fine young lady she has grown into," replied Fujitaka softly. "You've never told Sakura-san, have you?"

"No, I never mentioned anything about grandfather to her before... But she's a smart girl. She might have figured out everything already," Touya said. "Or perhaps, she knows even more than I do and is just keeping quiet."