Chapter 12: Till You Turn To Me (A Night of Betrayed Love)

"Funny how we can look back to yesterday and realize how silly it was. It seems like another life time."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Why do you follow him and admire him so much when he's so mean to you?" Sonomi asked.

"I don't know. There's just something about him." Nadeshiko's eyes turned a dreamy sea green. "There are times when I am so fed up with him and had enough, yet, Ryuuren-san..."

(Sakura thought, "there's something about Syaoran...")

Suddenly, Nadeshiko's eyebrows furrowed as she clenched her fist, furiously. "Yet, I hate him! Yesterday, he called me clumsy, just because I tripped on my shoelaces!"

Sonomi sweat dropped, eyeing 10 band-aids slapped onto one of Nadeshiko's knees.

Nadeshiko ranted, "He laughed at me because I tripped. Well, I couldn't help it. When I use my second sight and concentrate, I am coordinated, but if I don't focus, I get all clumsy again. Then, he slipped a snow ball down my sweater, and I got scared out of my wits—I thought it was a ghost or something. And another time, my half of the Five Force Scroll disappeared, so I was so upset and worried. Ryuuren scolded and bickered at me about being so irresponsible. Then, it turned out that he had taken it while I was not paying attention. He gave it back to me, and when I reproached him, you know what he said? 'It's you're fault for not looking after it, and not even able to keep me from stealing it. If it's this easy for me, think how easy it will be for the enemy.' He's so mean." She took a deep breath. "Now, what was I saying?"

"Li-san is no good. Don't hang around him. His pretty blue eyes are evil. He'll only hurt you in the end."

"Hurt me?" Nadeshiko twisted her long violet hair around her slender finger.

"Yes. Don't you remember him saying "I'll destroy you to get what I want?"

"It wasn't that extreme. No, I don't think that he would use violence to me. Not anymore. I think, I trust him now." Nadeshiko closed her eyes, remembering one snowy winter night, when an unknown force tied her to the ground. When she was about to get attacked, he had leaped forward and whisked her away. Her head was buried in his smooth Chinese battle costume of navy blue... his heart beat was strong.

"That's not what I mean." Sonomi said in a murmur, "He'll hurt something deeper."

* * * * * *

"Stupid! If you can't help, stay out of the way!" Ryuuren shoved Nadeshiko away, as whip snarled out in front of them. He blocked with his sword, and jumped back a few steps.

Just then the whip lashed through his long chestnut brown tail, With a swish, it landed onto the ground.

For a moment, he stood blankly. Then, he shook his short hair a few times. Now, it looked like any guy's hair, even if the dark brown bangs that fell to his eyes were glossy and striking. Another lash was snaking to his neck.

Without thinking, Nadeshiko's emerald eyes widened then flashed, and in a poof of fiery flames, the whip disappeared. In a nervous voice, she stammered, "S-see? I can be useful, sometimes."

"Yeah. Thanks. You saved my neck." He didn't say it grudgingly.

"You always save my neck... I'm sorry."

"About what?"

Bending down, Nadeshiko picked up the smooth, horse tail like chestnut hair from the soft snow and wrapped it in her handkerchief. "You're hair. It was cool. Of course, it looks good now, too. What else would be expected from the most popular guy among girls, at Seijou High?"