Chapter 37: Challenge of Friendship

******

What more can I want in life? Somehow, I don’t know why, I was chosen to be a girl different from any other girl. I have special powers, face hardships that no one else has to face, dream nightmares which turn into reality. Still, I need to be strong, even if the world turns upside down. Yet, I am just a fifteen-year-old girl who is uncertain and only desires the rainbow’s end, like any other person. In the night, I sometimes feel lonely and lost. It is like running through a maze, searching for someone, holding back tears.  Each day is an adventure, an obstacle, a new sunrise. Still, even if I am not perfect, I will always strive. Because I am Kinomoto Sakura, Mistress of the Sakura Cards and a Card Captor in the new era of the Chosen Ones.

******

Towards the end of summer vacation...

“Sakura! I can’t believe you didn’t win the Best Couple Contest! After all you went through! And you were in the finalists! I can’t believe…” Meirin ranted into the telephone from Hong Kong.

Stuffing her fingers into her ears, Sakura handed the phone to Syaoran. “She’s still ranting about it.”

“Still?” Syaoran asked in disbelief, reluctantly taking the phone, bracing himself to Meirin’s angry chatter.

Sakura’s handphone rang. Her second instinct told her to brace herself. “Hello?”

“Sakura?” Touya asked, the line slightly crackling from the long distance phone call from England.

“Onii-chan! It’s so good to hear from you! How are you these days? Is the work hard there?” Sakura exclaimed, overjoyed to hear from her brother.

“I’m fine, kaijou. Well, seems like you’re fine. I can’t talk for long because I have an exam to study for. My semester here is almost complete. I think Yukito and I’ll be back before next month,” Touya said.

“Really? That’s great! Otou-san said that his seminar tour was really successful and after his final seminar held in New York, he will be able to come home again also.”

“Sorry squirt. You’ve been alone for months… I hope it was okay all by yourself,” Touya said softly.

“I’m fine. You know me. And it was a good experience,” Sakura informed him brightly.

“Uh… I know this is random… But by any chance, were you on TV over vacation?” Touya asked hesitantly.

“Hoe? Ah ha ha… Noooo… Why should I?” Sakura asked innocently, sweat-dropping heavily

“Ah, I must have been mistaken. I was switching through the channels in cable TV and I thought I saw a girl who looked like you. Of course! Haha.  Why would little monster be one TV? But I swear, she looked exactly like you. And there was a boy that had brown hair that looked exactly like the Brat…”

“Hehe… You must have been mistaken.”

“Yeah. And, I’m just wondering, why don’t you ever get the house phone?” Touya questioned after a second thought.

“Hoe?” Sakura panicked. Then, holding a plastic bag to the phone receiver, she began to rustle it. “Oh dear! I think the phone connection’s bad. There’s static! I can’t hear you anymore! Ahh! The line got disconnected!” She placed switched off the phone, sighing in relief.

“Nice,” Syaoran commented, staring at her since he had finished his phone call with Meirin.

“Well, she can’t exactly tell him, ‘Sorry, I didn’t get the phone because I’m staying over at the apartment of the person you hate the most because of some complicated affairs involving the Dark Ones and our ancestors,’ can I?” Kero-chan protested in Sakura’s defense.