Chapter 49.5: Words We Couldn't Say (Christmas Story Prequel)

Li Syaoran, former Chosen One of the notorious Li Clan of  Hong Kong, currently resided in Tomoeda, Japan, living the life of a normal teenage boy, stressed by exams, occupied with extra-curricular activities such as soccer and the journalism club, and struggling with time management and social commitments. At least, his life was as normal as can be, considering that his chief companion, a pet dog of tan-colored fur and pointed ears, named Vega of Lyra, a.k.a. “Wolfie-chan,” was formerly a dark force. Together, they started each morning by jogging around the neighborhood at the break of dawn, followed by Syaoran’s martial arts training, and then warm down.

Meanwhile, his next-door neighbor was a former thief-turned-classmate, with the pseudonym of Mizuki Kai. In fact, his ex-criminal neighbor was probably the greatest source of nuisance to Syaoran. Not only did the former Thief of the Night insist upon blasting hard rock music on his 5.1 surround sound speaker system in the still middle of the night, but he also seemed to think Syaoran’s apartment was his second home, casually dropping in and out for mealtimes every day. Somehow, Kai always knew when Syaoran had prepared a meal, and popped up from the kitchen window with his pet parrot. Today, his naturally white parrot, named by Meilin “Perro-chan,” sported a crimson Mohawk. Leaning back on the chair and tapping his foot impatiently, Syaoran glared at Mizuki Kai who like every evening invaded his kitchen during dinnertime. Not only was Kai a freeloader, expecting Syaoran to cook and feed him, but he never stayed long enough to do the dishes.

Helping himself to another bowl of rice as usual, Kai stated, “How come you’re not eating? The vegetable stir-fry is delicious! Then again, I think you should have some meat—we’ve had vegetable all week. I’m getting sick of it.”

Containing his irritation, Syaoran said through gritted teeth, “If you’re getting tired of my food, why don’t you make your own meals?”

“Arf arf!” echoed Wolfie-chan, yapping at Kai’s ankles.

Kai jumped up on the chair and swatted at the puppy with a rolled up newspaper. “Shoo, shoo.”

“Grrr…” Wolfie-chan growled.

“Syao-kun, get this beast away from me,” Kai yelped, sunglasses skewed. “Anyway, you know I can’t cook for the life of me. No matter what, Syao-kun’s cooking is the best, next to Mei-chan’s. So now, good doggy. That’s right. Good boy. Go back to daddy.”

Wagging its tail, Wolfie-chan trotted back to Syaoran’s seat and jumped up onto its master’s lap. Absentmindedly, Syaoran petted the puppy’s head.

Resuming his meal, Kai asked, “Anyway, has something been on your mind? You’ve been flipping through your account book and sighing a lot lately.”

Slant-eyed, Syaoran remarked, “Since when have you been so observant of my behavior? Is it a new pastime?”

“Nay, my friend. Only following Mei-chan’s orders and keeping an eye on you,” Kai replied, setting down his chopstick next to his clean bowl of rice and patting his stomach. “When she was here, Mei-chan was concerned about my constitution and insisted upon feeding me a healthy portion of protein every day. She’ll cry when she finds out I’ve been living on grass for the past weeks.”