Chapter 13: The Twisted Winter Concert

The Winter Concert is coming up very soon...

Chowing down popcorn, Meirin hit the rewind button on the VCR remote control for the tenth time. Frustrated, Syaoran's eyebrows twitched as he tried to concentrate on his math homework. If I hear little stupid Syaoran call out "Sakura" one more time on that stupid Card Captor Sakura video that Tomoyo gave Meirin, I'm going to scream.

"SA KU RAAAAAAAAAA" The boy screamed from the video as little Sakura fell down the crack.

Snapping his pencil in two, Syaoran slammed his fists on the table and shouted, "Li Meirin! You stop watching that video this instant!"

With round reddish-amber eyes, Meirin dropped her popcorn. "No need to scream, Syaoran-kun. Anyway, that video is so fun. No wonder Tomoyo won first prize for it. Can't believe we get to go to New York in a few weeks. Imagine the shopping!" Eyes glued to the T.V. screen, Meirin laughed as she watched 11 year old Syaoran turn several shades of purple when Eriol offered Sakura a flower. When the video ended for the 11th time, she sighed and glanced side ways at Syaoran. True, boyish features still remained in the grouchy teen Syaoran as he pouted while doing his homework. Yet, there were more mature sides as well. Already, he was somewhat past 170 centimeters (still growing rapidly for several more years!), and there was something about the way his glossy chestnut bang fell to his eyes, the strong, firmness of his aristocratic hands, his long, muscular barefoot legs stretched out beneath the table. These days, there was a constant brooding in his deep amber eyes that often appeared when he thought no one was watching. True, he did get more talkative than few years ago, yet he kept his private thoughts to himself, and it was impossible to guess what was truly in his mind.

Without bothering to turn around, Syaoran muttered, "Stop staring at me. It's getting on my nerves."

"Who says I'm staring at you?"

"Meirin, you forget that I have what you call 'magic.' I can sense things. Unlike you."

Throwing a handful of popcorn at him, she shrieked, "You're so mean. No need to always get on my weak point."

"Hey! Now, I have to clean the floor all over again!"

"Well, it doesn't matter since you can use your 'magic.'" Sticking out her tongue, Meirin rewound the Card Captor Sakura video for the 12th time. Syaoran sighed.

* * * * * *

Looking over her lists, Sakura checked off all the names, then stared contentedly at the neat pile of presents wrapped in pretty papers and ribbons.

"There, all the shopping's done." Brushing her hands, Sakura flopped onto her bed.

Picking up Sakura's list, Tomoyo, who was visiting commented, "You didn't get anything for Li-kun yet."

"Hoe?" Sitting back up, Sakura squealed, "Hoe-e! I have dinner duty tonight. Excuse me Tomoyo-chan, do you mind if we go downstairs?"

Sighing, Tomoyo followed Sakura. "It's too bad there aren't that many attacks this winter."

"What do you mean?" Kero popped out. "We're lucky!"

Grinning impishly, Sakura tied on an apron. "Maybe the enemy's feeling the holiday spirit, and feels like giving me a break. That skating incident was quite enough for me, thank you."

Tomoyo cast her amethyst eyes down. She remembered her conversation with Syaoran. Yet, then why did he carry Sakura so gently? Why was he so concerned about her? Why did he go hysterical when Sakura was trapped under the ice? Letting out another (happy) sigh, she grinned. But looking it at the comical side, it was funny to see "rivals" once more. The constant bickering, that skating race... Though those two may seem to be the opposites... Those two are really similar inside. "Sakura-chan. You know about the New York trip?"