Chapter 51: The Third Wish

More than a year ago, the Chang twins transferred to Seijou Junior High class 2-1 to carry out their ancestor’s revenge, their alter egos being the “Dark Ones.” Kinomoto Sakura, the Card Mistress chosen by Clow Reed, was once again thrown into a hurdle of attacks, awakening in her the new power to seal dark forces into Sakura Cards. Meanwhile, Li Syaoran who had returned to Hong Kong a year after the final battle against Hiiragizawa Eriol, Clow Reed’s reincarnation, was determined to once more fight by Sakura’s side against the greater evil. As the Chosen One of the Li Clan, Syaoran had spent the year in Hong Kong wisely, working hard and enduring many grueling training sessions after realizing his deficiencies in the last battle against Eriol. Despite Clan opposition, he ran away from home to fight by Sakura’s side in Japan. However, continuing where he had left off was more difficult than he had expected; his sudden departure and time away put a gap in his relationship with Sakura. Furthermore, his cold demeanor and reluctance to open to his one time rival, companion and first love, created more trials for times ahead. Though Sakura was often hurt and discouraged by Syaoran’s unapproachable nature, circumstances nonetheless obliged them to open up to each other.

Soon, the two discovered glimpses of the past that were unexpected and at times shocking, such as the ambiguous relationship between Li Ryuuren, Syaoran’s father and Amamiya Nadeshiko, Sakura’s mother. Simultaneously, the attacks from the “Dark One” increased in number and intensity, while Sakura and Syaoran had to relearn how to trust each other and most importantly, believe in their own strengths. Despite his uncle’s warning to stay away from Sakura resulting in his initial brusqueness towards her, Syaoran slowly began to realize for the first time that there were matters of more importance to him than Clan honor. From the whirlpool of events ranging from the camping trip, the New York adventure, staying together in Syaoran’s apartment, summer vacation on the run in Tokyo, the Best Couple Contest, the Star-Crossed Production and the many events in between, the arguments and the laughter, the bond between the two strengthened as they became more truthful about their feelings regarding each other.   

What began as a simple matter of defeating the Dark Ones became more complicated as more and more people got involved. Old friends were there as always. Kero-chan and Yue remained Sakura’s faithful guardians, ready to protect their mistress at any moment. Daidouji Tomoyo was exhilarated by more opportunities to videotape her cousin and best friend, and make Sakura, and anyone else who would endure it, new battle outfits. Initially intending mischief when she returned to Japan after Syaoran, Li Meilin, still struggling with her longtime affection for her childhood fiancé Syaoran, gradually began to mature by the time she returned to Hong Kong the following spring. Meanwhile, Sakura’s suspicious but well-meaning older brother, Kinomoto Touya, was ever determined to intervene in Sakura and Syaoran’s relationship, and only Tsukishiro Yukito, his best friend and Sakura’s first crush, could appease him.  

New acquaintances were made also. With the trip to New York during winter vacation thanks to Tomoyo winning the Best Director Contest, Sakura and crew bumped into Hiiragizawa Eriol again, who introduced Mizuki Kaho’s cousin, Tanaka Miho. More than a year younger than Sakura, Miho was a bright but obstinate girl, easily jealous but hiding a sad past. The following spring, a phantom thief by the name of Kaitou Magician plagued the neighborhood of Tomoeda and with the episode of kidnapping Meilin and a strange knowledge of the Five Force Treasures, became tangled in the Card Captor’s life. This wasn’t the last of the inscrutable but never ill-meaning Criminal 603, who reemerged in their lives as Mizuki Kai, a mischievous new transfer student in Seijou Junior High, Class 3-1. With an addition of Miho, who moved to Japan in hopes of finding her missing older brother and Eriol, who was her “guardian,” the following autumn proved even more chaotic than ever.