Chapter 7: Melody of Loneliness

Sakura, Syaoran, Tomoyo, etc. are about 14 years old right now. They go to Seijou Junior High... Touya and Yukito are in college, and they're about 20-21.

Key:

(******)     =     scene change 
(~~~~~~) =    flashback, or the "past" (you'll get it when you read on) 

"Sakura, are you okay?" Eron asked, concerned. Sakura had tumbled, by the doorway of the music classroom.

"Yeah... I'm fine. I'm just tired. You know... all that camp trip things..."

"Right. You were injured. After all who wouldn't be after almost falling off a cliff? How's the cut on your head?"

"Uh... it's better, thanks to Syaoran-kun's medicine." How does Eron know I almost fell off a cliff?

Erika joined in the conversation. "Really? Syaoran must be the healer." She laughed. "My leg injury certainly feel better, now, thanks to him. He gave me some medicine, too."

Sakura narrowed her eyes. "Too?" That meant that he gave Erika medicine, as well. It wasn't just for her. He wasn't just being especially nice to her. Wait, why do I feel so jealous?

"My, Kinomoto-san, your black stocking are absolutely hideous," Erika scoffed.

Sakura blushed. Her legs were still scratched and scabbed, so she had on woolen black stockings instead of their uniform's knee socks. Of course she was not looking her best. 

Just then, Syaoran came in and walked to his desk. Takashi came along and slapped him on the back. Syaoran winced. Not all of his injuries were healed yet, though he tried not to show it. Then, Takashi asked, "Well, you know, I never really got the full story of what happened at the camping trip. What happened?"

This was echoed by a cheer from everyone else. Sakura glanced sideways. He refused to look at Sakura. "Nothing. We just got lost, that's all." That ended the conversation on that topic. There was a sort of sideway glance among all the class mates. Luckily, the music teacher just entered the room.

Syaoran is back to the usual, distant person, different from the gentle, wistful guy that he had revealed for a brief moment back when the sun rose. Biting her lips, Sakura tried to stifle a groan as her head spun around. Sighing, Sakura sat down at her desk with her knees trembling slightly. At first she did not see the side effects of making new cards, but now, she was starting to get overworked. The first few times had been tiring but she didn't feel that affected because her energy had been brimming after a year's rest. Now that she was back as Card Captor Sakura, her energy flow was getting weaker. Making new cards left her exhausted since her own body supplied the power. I'll never be like Clow Reed; he was the greatest mage, after all. I hope I adjust to this power as I did before. Yet, this new enemy might not be as caring as Eriol-kun was. They wouldn't be merciful if I make a mistake. I have to be more aware and alert, yet... 

The class began to sing the song that they were learning.

The sharp voice of the teacher sounded, "Li Syaoran! You are not singing!"

He answered coolly, "How do you know if I'm not?"

"Don't get smart with me. You're not even opening your mouth."

"Well, I don't like singing of performing in front of other people."

"It is sad that you do not enjoy such a beautiful thing as music," the music teacher clucked.

"Who say's I don't like music? I just said that I don't like singing in front of other people. So leave me be."

The music teacher was about to flare out at the impertinent boy, and the whole class was silent. Instead, she commented, "Well, it's not a shame to try, even if you're not good at it. Class, let's move on to our music compositions."