Chapter 67: The Sacrifice

Is it a sin to wish for something that is unattainable? My eyes, my arms, my legs, my heart, there is nothing I would not have given for my one wish.

But that was not enough, was it? For your wish to come true, you have to pay something of equivalent value.

******

Part I: Moon Rises...

One autumn day towards the end of the Edo Feudal Era...

The trees of Kumatori Mountain of Edo Japan were dappled a brilliant crimson, amber and golden as an unusually hot and long summer finally gave way to the brisk chill of autumn. Vermillion-colored maple leaves showered down the wooden engawa porch of the Shinto shrine located towards the summit of the mountains. Two women sat on the porch, sipping fragrant green tea, breathing in the musty, smoky smell of the woods around them. One was a miko, clad in the red and white garbs of a Shinto priestess, and the other was a woman, almost childlike in frame, with long violet-black hair pulled into a tight bun. Her kimono was a deep plum color, a lighter shade of her hair, accented with a deep ochre sash, the color of her eyes. She had a small, delicate-boned face, though it lacked much color.

"You look pale. Is your health all right, Risa?" asked the auburn-haired miko, Mizuki Mayura of the Great Five.

"I am much better now," replied Chang Risa with a small smile. She put her hands on her stomach, over her orange and canary dyed silk obi.

Mayura's gray eyes flickered over to Risa's hands. "Don't tell me..." Her eyes widened. "You can't be?"

"It's been three months," said Risa, her cheeks flushed.

"Congratulations...but..." A dark shadow came over Mayura's eyes. "But your body..."

"I'll be fine. I want this. I've always wanted this child."

"Did you tell him yet?"

Risa hesitated. "No... He's been busy sealing the escaped mountain youkai. I don't want him to worry for me."

"But he should know," said Mayura slowly. "You have to tell him."

"Just a little longer. Until I am sure I am stable." She stroked her stomach. "I've always wanted a child, Mayura. I never thought it could happen. But this baby, I will protect no matter what."

"Risa, you must be careful." Mayura reached over and held Risa's thin hands in hers. She had never seen the younger girl who had always been so meek and timid speak with so much determination before; perhaps it was motherly instinct. "I'll be here for you, so don't overburden yourself."

"Thank you, Mayura." Risa smiled wistfully. "You know, I never regretted losing my sight, not once, but now, I have the slightest regret I will not be able to see my baby's first smile nor the color of her eyes."

"You've been so brave all this time; I wish is a way to turn back time and give you back your sight," said Mayura softly, wondering if she would have been able to do the same as Risa for the sake of love.

Chang Risa shook her head adamantly. "I never regret the choice I made. In return, I received so many gifts. Hayashi-sama, whom I never even dared to dream about, is by my side, and I am with his child now. In many ways, I am very blessed." Risa's cheeks were a rosy pink as she gazed at her closest friend. "You've been like a sister to me, always giving me strength and courage. Thank you so much, Mayura."

The trees had grown bare and the colorful autumn had stripped down to a barren cold winter in the mountains almost overnight. Chang Risa sat up from her futon, shivering. It was cold. Her long wavy hair hung damp around her white face. She covered her shoulders with an earth-tone haori and sat up. Carefully, she placed her hands over her obi sash, which had begun to pinch her stomach. Would he be happy? She wondered if she would bear a son who would grow up to become a mighty swordsman to make his father proud or maybe a lovely little girl with his bright eyes. Yes it would definitely be a daughter. A throb came from her stomach again. "Even if I won't be able to see your face, I will know exactly what you look like. So grow healthy and strong, my dear baby." She heard footsteps outside—was he back already? She stumbled outside towards the outhouse, her breath coming out in heaves. Risa wiped the sweat on her brows with her sleeve—she wanted to see his face light up when she had told him about the baby. He would be happy, wouldn't he? Her hands reached out feeling in front of her and she stumbled before balancing herself again. For a second, she paused. "Is anyone there?" she asked out loud to the presence of a girl with green eyes very like Amamiya Hayashi's.