Chapter 24: The Mirror of Truth

~~~~~~ 
Dream state…

“Pretty Cherry Blossom, do you really think he cares for you?” A smooth male voice asked her. “If you had no powers, if you weren’t connected by your heritage, the past, and all the strange things that happened, what would you mean to him? Nothing. He only associates with you because you are Card Captor Sakura, not because he actually cares for you in person. Think about when you first met him. You only got to know him because you were rivals in capturing the Clow Cards. And, when his mission ended, he returned back home, just like that.”

“But he came back!” Sakura shouted into a black pitch.

“He only came back when new trouble started. Just think of all your past memories together. The only binding you have to him is what was planned by the past.”

“That’s not true! I—I would have cared for him even if he wasn’t Clow Reed’s descendent, and even if I wasn’t Card Captor!”

“So you say…”

“Shut up! You’re only another dream!” Sakura clenched her eyes shut. I want to wake up! Stop this nightmare!

~~~~~~

“Do you two always practice together?” Sakura asked, watching Syaoran and Meirin practice their martial arts move against each other in the living room.

“Sometimes,” Syaoran replied, striking out his left arm.

“Oh yeah. Wasn’t Syaoran teaching you some fighting skills also? What happened to the lessons?” Meirin asked.

“Eh?” Ever since that winter day, when he told her… Ever since then, they had stopped the lessons. Yet, Sakura had been practicing the moves that Syaoran had taught her on her own.

“I guess we kinda lost track of it,” Syaoran commented carelessly as he wiped his forehead with a towel. “I’m taking a shower.” He walked away.

Gripping the necklace, Sakura stared at Syaoran’s back. Who was Syaoran really, inside? Was he really this cold, uncaring person? Or was he really the warm, caring underneath his exterior?

Her handphone bell rang. Quickly, she took it out of her pocket. Earlier, her brother had called, giving another lecture of being organized and responsible. Her father had also called her, informing that he was enjoying his trip very much and hit off with the college board directors very well. Who could it be now?

”Hello? Kero-chan? Yeah, there’s been lots of trouble lately... A thief, a new force, oh yeah, I sprained my ankle so I’m staying at the Li’s. Yeah, I’m okay now— No, Syaoran is not a brat. Really, everything’s fine. Did you find any information? I think there’s something strange about my necklace. Huh? Something about the Five Force Treasure? What’s that? Hmm? Okay, then. Contact me again. Don’t bother Eriol-kun too much and don’t eat too much sweets. Bye…”

Meirin asked, “Was that the stuffed animal calling from England?”

“Yeah. It seems like he’s trying to track down some of Clow-san’s old document. He said I should start tracking down the past, as well. Onii-chan’s having problems with Nakuru-san, I heard. Oh, and Miho-chan and Kero-chan don’t get along. Hoe-e~ I worry about Kero-chan! But I miss him after years of being together. Hmm… wonder what the Five Force Treasures are.”

******

Sitting next to Sakura in the table, Syaoran was earnestly explaining something rather boring and complex to her. “So, anyway, in the old legend, there were the Great Five Magicians. Each with either the power of the heavenly bodies, elemental power, second sight, contract magic, or power of the dark and light. We know three of them, Li, Reed, and Amamiya. Another one would be the line of the legendary dark ones. We still don’t know the last one. Eriol would be finding more about it right now.” On a scribbled notebook, Syaoran drew a line out of the star he had drawn. “Then, we go to our parent’s generation. There’s my father, a Li, your mother, Amamiya, and Miho’s mother, Mizuki Miara-san. The problem is… Sakura? Sakura? Hey, are you listening to me?”