Chapter 30: The Lone Thief of the Night

*~*~*~*~*~*

There was a blinding flare of white light in all directions. The young man in black shielded his face with one arm, desperately looking around for an escape route.

He was deaf to the shouting of harsh voices from below and the ringing of sirens, as he leaped over one rooftop to the next. Another beam of light pointed at him as he reached a dead end. The sound of footsteps and yelling came nearer. There was no place to run.

Then, a large //BANG// echoed into the endless black night.

*****

England…

“Eriol, what’s with that grave expression,” Nakuru asked, laughing. “For heaven’s sake, lighten up. It’s summer. Have some fun.”

“Fun. It’s no fun here in England,” Tanaka Miho complained, running a finger through her short auburn hair framing her face. Her mischievous smoke gray eyes twinkled. “I say, I wanna go to Japan for summer vacation! Where there’s so many cute guys!”

“I second going to Japan!” Kero-chan exclaimed. Glaring at Eriol, he stated, “Sakura-chan’s not so stingy when it comes to making me nice food.”

In a bored tone, Suppi-chan commented, “Though Eriol’s good at cooking, to quench your appetite, he’ll have to be cooking all day, and you’ll still want more.”

With narrowed silver violet eyes, Yue said, “Cerberus, you’ve been no help what so ever in gaining information to aid your mistress. We won’t be going back to Japan for a long time at this rate.”

“Well I was the one who called Sakura-chan and told her about the Five Force Treasures. Plus, I called her yesterday and told her that they might hold a significant key to solving some of the mysteries, so that it will be best for her to try and gather all five treasures,” Kero-chan retorted offended, flying around the room with his hands (paws?) on his hips.

“It doesn’t matter! The longer you all stay, the better! Then Touya-kun can stay here forever and forever!” Nakuru swooned, flipping back her long maroon hair. “Too bad he’s so busy studying. It’s good that he’s getting honors and awards here, but I mean, like the girls here are drooling over the new Japanese foreign exchange student. There’s that duchess girl, who’s like soooooo rich and has a crush on him. Talk about competition for me! ”

Placing his forehead on his hand, Eriol sighed. He was too polite to say that all of them were giving him a headache.

“What are you worrying so hard about? Lighten up, dude. I mean, whatever, whoever you are an incarnation of, doesn’t change your identity now.” Miho stated, jumping behind Eriol and slapping his back. Eriol’s eyes bulged out as his glasses were knocked off.

Everyone smothered a giggle. (Except for Yue, who never laughed.) Miho was the only one who could treat Eriol like that.

“It’s nothing much. I just have an uneasy feeling something big’s going to happen this summer,” Eriol said, his midnight blue eyes glimmering. “I’m too lazy to further inspect my prophetic skills. Still, the more unexpected things that happen, the more fun it is.”

“That’s the spirit!” Miho exclaimed, patting Eriol’s head.

“Hee hee. Who would guess that Eriol’s the older one,” stated Nakuru, settling down on the arm of Eriol’s sofa. “Yet all the same, Eriol’s too mellow and thinks too much due to his crooked personality. And he finds the oddest things amusing.”