Chapter 65: Cohabitation, Part Deux

Kinomoto Touya yawned as he took off his white coat and folded it over his chair, returning to his dorm room in the residence halls of Kinhoshi Hospital in the wee hours of morning. It had been a long night at the clinic, and he rubbed his eyes. The shades were down, and he glanced over at his roommate's side of the room. The bed was occupied.

"Yuki, didn't you have nightshift?" asked Touya. Yukito was curled up in bed, blanket completely covering his head, being a sleepyhead as usual. "Hey Yuki, wake up."

There was no response. Frowning, Touya walked up to the bed and shook him. "Yukito, you're going to be late for breakfast." As he pulled down the blanket, a brown-haired boy turned his head. Touya's jaw dropped. "Gyah! Y-you're not Yuki-"

The brown-haired boy blinked until his amber eyes focused on a scowling black-haired man looking over him. Upon recognition, he quickly scrambled up remarkably like a wild wolf caught off guard.

"

You

. What are you doing here?" Touya growled.

Li Syaoran's eyes darted back and forth looking for an exit. Touya towered over him, cornering him against the bed.

"Well, I'm still waiting for an explanation." Touya tapped his foot on the floor.

Just as Syaoran was about to lunge forward and push Touya aside, Tsukishiro Yukito came into the room, holding his morning baguette and a donut. "Touya, you're back already?" His marigold eyes flickered back between Syaoran and Touya. "Oh, sorry, did we wake you, Syaoran-kun?"

An instant look of relief came over Syaoran's face, and he quickly took refuge behind Yukito.

Now, Touya glanced between Syaoran and Yukito suspiciously.

As if reading Touya's mind, Yukito smiled. "I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to let you know beforehand. I found Syaoran-kun sleeping on the hospital benches, and I couldn't leave him like that. I had nightshift, and nobody was sleeping in my bed, so I told him he could use it."

"So you too took pity upon a stray dog," muttered Touya. He peered at Syaoran over the tip of his nose. "Well, what's the deal? Why are you camping out in the hospital like some homeless person?"

Syaoran stuck his hands in his pockets, staring at the floor glumly.

"He seems to have had some... disagreements at home," replied Yukito.

"What are you? His good-will ambassador? Let the boy speak for himself." Touya peered at Syaoran. "Is this true? You ran away from home?"

Warily, Syaoran looked up and met Touya's gaze.

******

Though Christmas was over, Kinomoto Sakura hummed to herself a little jingle song as she stirred the beef curry. Tonight, her brother and Yukito-san were coming over for dinner. Though she had been dating Chang Eron for around two months now, Yukito-san had been her first crush and always held a special place in her heart. There was no one who ever gave her that same