Contact.

Lyra has noticed from the beginning that there is something strange with her master.

Okay, probably not from the beginning. It began to happen when she entered the magic academy.

It's not like she has become a totally different person, but she can tell the subtle difference. And her orders are a lot weirder than usual.

At first, she didn't really think about it, but now she knows why.

It happened by total coincidence. She wasn't purposely trying to eavesdrop or anything. She wasn't randomly wandering around the Viscount's office for no reason. She wasn't curious about what actually happened.

And then she heard it. From behind the door her master said, "I think I have a power to see the future." 

It all makes sense now. All her strange actions, all her odd requests must be because she knows something about the future.

Still, discovering her master's big secret in such a way made Lyra feel bad. 

What a terrible maid she was.

Aurora didn't tell her because she didn't trust her enough, and that thought made her feel sad. But the fact that she had been eavesdropping and found out her secret like this made her realize that her master was right; she wasn't trustworthy. 

Lyra walked through the garden of the Viscount's family with a defeated feeling. She couldn't forgive herself for what she had done. 

Why couldn't she have just waited for her master to tell her herself? she thought. Why couldn't she have controlled her curiosity better? What if her master found out what she had done? Would she... throw her away?

The thought terrified her.

It's been many years since she has served as her maid. She's already a part of her life. If she lost that... 

Lyra snapped back to reality when she suddenly felt something dark watching her, like a wild beast eyeing its prey. She immediately looked in the direction the feeling came from, but there was nothing there, just an empty garden of flowers. 

Is she imagining it? She wondered. Or...

She pushed aside her fear and slowly walked in that direction. There should have been guards around that area, so someone or something shouldn't have been able to enter so easily, but...

"Don't look back," a sudden whisper came from behind her. Lyra was stunned.

"You're Lyra, correct?" whispered the man behind her.

Lyra nodded in fear.

"I have a message for your master," he said, putting something in her hand. "Don't drop it."