The Second Prince, Damian.

Damian felt like an idiot.

Since he was small, he did everything better than his brother. That gave him a sense of superiority. And from that, he always felt like he deserved more, he deserved better. Not that he was experiencing any shortcomings, his life as a second prince was perfectly fine. Yet, he couldn't help but want more.

Every time he got something, he thought he deserved more. Every time his brother got something, he thought he was the one that deserved it more.

That's why he wanted Casper's position as a crown prince--no, scratch that. He wanted the position of his father, the king immediately.

But now, he had been humbled several times. Despite his carefully planned actions, he kept failing. He even got help from Nova, the daughter of a Duke, yet he still failed miserably. Everything wasn't working, and now he had nothing left. To the point when he was betrayed by the elves, he could only laugh.

It turned out that he was nothing. Yes, he was slightly better than his brother, but that didn't mean anything. He was blind. Casper never made any accomplishments, after all. Being better than him was nothing amazing.

Yet he never noticed and his ego kept growing bigger every day.

What an idiot he was.

Still, when he thought all hope was lost, the elves betrayed themselves. Serena, the elf Princess, and her followers were being drugged by their own guards.

"Go!" The elf guard told him. "We give you a chance to run away, so stop spacing out and go!"

Damian didn't really understand what had happened. But he knew that if he returned to his kingdom, he would most likely be executed.

In the end, he still feared death. So he started to run from there. He looked back, half expecting the elf guards to follow him, but instead, they ran away in the opposite direction. They didn't even go back to the elf kingdom. That confused him. But he didn't stop. He kept running all night. His life depended on this after all.

And after so long running away, nestled amidst rolling hills, he found a small village. He stared at its thatched roofs, adorned with twining vines and moss, and cobblestone streets.

Prince Damian got closer to one of the villager's houses. That's when an old man from the village saw him. 

"Oh, my lord, what happened to you?" he asked, worried.

"Ah, I'm... a merchant's son," Damian said, telling a blatant lie. "Our carriage was attacked by bandits and I have been running from them since then. I'm... not sure what happened to my father and the others. I'm not sure where I am either."

The villager willingly accepted his made-up story and gave him a place to rest and food to eat. Everyone was nice to him. Their warmth made him feel bad for lying. It kind of surprised him. He had lied a lot before, but it was the first time he had felt bad like this.