Sera.

Even Aurora was taken aback by the unexpected bad news.

Aurora's mind was racing as she sat in the history lesson. It was supposed to be just another day at the academy, but with the news of the Knight Captain's untimely death, everything had changed.

In the game, Aurora thought, the Knight Captain was never said to be dead in either of the routes. Could her actions have played a role in the Captain's death? The thought made her feel sick. On top of that, Finnick's absence only added to the unease.

She then remembered Ruby's connection with Finnick and turned towards her. Ruby hung her head, her hair shielding her face from view, making it difficult for Aurora to gauge her expression.

At that moment, Aurora felt the urge to go to her and give her a hug, but with class already in session, she was stuck in her seat.

Aurora sighed as she struggled to focus on the history lesson. Despite the fantastical world she lived in, the subject matter was dry and dull. The endless lists of dates and events blurred together in her mind, and her thoughts wandered to darker places.

As she ruminated on the events, a heavy weight settled in her chest. The full magnitude of her actions was hitting her, and she couldn't ignore the fact that she had contributed, however indirectly, to someone's death.

It's fine, it's just an NPC, she thought, trying to justify it. The most important thing is her own survival. It's either her or them.

It's not like she did it on purpose, another thought appears.

Who cares if she acts a little selfish? She never asked to be in this situation either.

Her mind keeps making excuses, making her less and less like a heroine and more and more like a villainess. And with that, the class ended.

Aurora stood and walked toward Ruby. The small girl sat there in silence, not even glancing at her. 

"Can I hug you?" Aurora asked.

Ruby looked at her, confusion written all over her face. "Huh?"

"Can I?" Aurora repeated, her voice soft and gentle.

"I don't need it," Ruby replied, her tone uncertain.

"I know," Aurora said. No matter how much she tried to justify it, she couldn't shake the feeling of unease that lingered in her heart. She felt like she needed this more than Ruby did. "But... can I?" 

Ruby hesitated for a moment before mumbling, "We-well, if you insist."

Aurora enveloped her in a warm embrace. The feel of Ruby's small, warm body against hers eased her heart just a little. Ruby blushed, looking a little embarrassed, but Aurora could feel the tension in her shoulders beginning to relax.