Father Bucky

Steve received an odd text at 6:13am.

'I need your help, Steve. Meet me at this location. :location shared:'

Steve stared at it for a while trying to think who it could be. His number was encrypted and impossible to find.
He showed Tony and they agreed to go out to the location, with weapons... Just in case.
When they arrived they found it was an abandoned bus stop half an hour out of the city.
And to their surprise when they pulled up they found James Barnes of all people, with a child around five years old cuddled up next to him.
Bucky looked rough, his hair and beard longer.

"Steve." He said as he grabbed your hand and rushed towards Steve and hugged him tightly.

"Buck? What's going on? How are you here?" He asked as Bucky did his best to not cry while he hugged his best friend.

"I didn't know what else to do. I could've kept running my entire life, but I won't let it happen to her." Bucky said as he pulled away and Steve looked down at you.
He smiled and kneeled down to your eye level.

"Hi, sweetheart. What's your name?" He said as you held onto Bucky's hand and looked up to him for reassurance, he smiled and nodded to you letting you know Steve was safe.

"I'm Y/N." You said as he smiled.

"Well, it's wonderful to meet you. I'm Steve." He replied as you smiled a little.

"Let's get you guys out of here, how does that sound?" Steve asked as you nodded.
Tony opened the car for you and Bucky to sit in the back.
Bucky helped to seatbelt you in and you looked around the expensive car.

"Daddy, where are we going?" You asked as Bucky looked at you.

"Somewhere safe, darling. You don't need to be afraid." He reassured you as you nodded and held onto his hand.

"How old are you, sweetie?" Tony asked, looking at you through the rear view mirror.

"I'm turning five next month." You replied making them smile.

"Well, we'll have to make sure you have a very special birthday."

--

They finally arrived back at the tower and you had fallen asleep on Bucky.
He carried you out of the car and followed them into the tower.

"So, is she your kid?" Tony asked as Bucky nodded.

"Yeah... It's a long story." He muttered sadly as they nodded.

"Let's get her into a bed." Steve said as they made it up to one of the higher floors where the rooms were.
Bucky laid you down on the bed and tucked you in.

"Let's talk in the room across the hall, that way we're still close to her." Tony said they nodded and followed him into the next room.
Bucky sat on the bed and sighed deeply.

"I'm so sorry to do this, but I couldn't keep running. I promised I would keep her safe and that's what I plan to do." Bucky whispered as he looked down, they could tell how exhausted he was.

"How about we talk about all of this later? You go rest with the kid." Tony replied making Bucky smile softly.
He entered your room and curled up beside you where you instantly cuddled into him.
He closed his eyes and hugged you tightly to his chest while you slept peacefully.