Steve - Forgiveness Isn't Easy

"Why the fuck is she joining us!?" Tony shouted as Steve groaned and rubbed the sides of his head.

"Tony calm down, and yes. Y/N is going to be staying here, she won't be joining the team yet but Fury wants us to train her and help her turn over a new leaf. She's powerful and could be a good addition to our team. I know we've all had our issues with her in the past but she wants to change and we're going to help her." Steve replied as the team sighed in annoyance.

"Look, I know this is going to be hard but have some empathy, please. It's not often we have a villain that wants to make up for their mistakes." Steve continued as the team nodded.

"She'll be arriving tomorrow, everyone be on your best behaviour."

--

You stood in the elevator beside Fury as you mindlessly played with the hem of your shirt.
The doors opened and you looked ahead to see Steve and Tony waiting.
You stepped out with Fury beside you as you smiled.

"H-Hey, guys." You muttered as Steve smiled, Tony didn't exactly look happy.

"It's good to see you again, Y/N." Steve said with a smile.

"It's okay, you don't have to lie." You replied, laughing a little.

"It really is, Y/N. I know we've all had our issues and differences but we're all glad that you're wanting to change and of course we're here to help you along the way." Steve said making you smiled even more.

"Thank you, Steve. That means a lot to me... A lot has changed since I saw you guys and I want to do whatever I can to make up for what I did." You replied, Steve could see how nervous and actually genuine you were being.
But, unfortunately Tony just saw the person that put Pepper and Peter in comas.

--

You were in the kitchen with Steve, starting to make dinner for everyone.

"You sure you're okay to have dinner with everyone?" Steve asked as you looked at him.

"Yeah, I am. I want them to see that I'm putting in an effort I guess. Thank you for being so nice to me, Steve." You said as he smiled at you.

"That's okay, Y/N. I'm kind of good at putting myself in other people's shoes. If I were in your position I'd want someone understanding to be on my side." He replied making you blush a little, you really were thankful he was here.
Everyone was definitely right when they called him a saint.

--

You sat beside Steve as everyone began to sit down at the table for dinner.

"We sure she hasn't poisoned this?" Nat muttered as you looked away.

"I can garentee there's no poison, Y/N actually makes a great sous chef." Steve said making you smile.
The night continued on and you did your best to ignore everyone's small jabs at you.
But, eventually it got too much.

"Shut up!" You screamed, slamming your hand on the table.

"Here we go." Tony muttered under his breath.

"Just stop it! I'm trying my hardest... You've all done shitty things! Bucky was a fucking murderer, so was Nat!" You shouted as everyone looked at you.

"You know what the difference is, Y/N?" Bucky growled at you as you glared at him.

"We didn't choose to do those things, you did. We were forced, but you fucking chose to hurt and kill people, didn't you?" Bucky growled as you grabbed your glassed and threw it at the wall beside you, causing it to smash.
You stormed off into the elevator and tried to ignore everyone.
The doors closed and you quickly pressed the button for the roof.
As soon the doors opened again you ran out into the cold air until you reached the end.
You screamed in frustration as tears formed in your eyes.
After a few minutes of crying you heard a noise behind you and saw Steve.

"You don't have to fight for me, Steve... They're right." You whispered as he stood beside you.

"Maybe they are, but does that mean you don't deserve a chance? You did bad things and you're making up for them, not many people would do that. This isn't going to be easy, Y/N. But, I can see you're trying really hard. The others just need time to try and understand and move on from what happened." Steve said as you turned to him.

"Can I have a hug?" You whispered making Steve smile softly.
He opened his arms and let you hug him tightly.
His arms wrapped around you and you closed your eyes, relaxing a little.

"Thank you, Steve."