Chapter 355 - Progress Over Perfection

"Talk to me, Rose. What's wrong?" Yang Marco was seated in front of his granddaughter. She stared into the distance with a ditzy look in her eyes. She reacted as if she didn't know he was in the same room as her. She was unresponsive, her lips were parched, and she behaved like she was watching the most interesting thing ever. What was she looking at?

He turned his head and saw it was just an empty, light blue wall with specks of clouds. What could be so interesting in a wall? This entire morning, he tried to speak to her, but she was unresponsive. He had rushed here first thing in the morning after hearing the news that she was hospitalized at midnight. He would've come here earlier, but no one had informed him of her arrival to the hospital until Li Xuan burst into the main mansion, out of breath and frantic.

Yang Marco was here for the past three hours and she still hadn't looked his way or even acknowledged his presence. She acted like he was a gust of wind beside her ears. He didn't like her reaction. He didn't like it one bit. It reminded him of her past self. Desolate and empty inside, with a stupified look on her face because of the surgery.

He raised his head and stared at her with a displeased look on his face. She looked so distant...as if she wasn't a part of this world anymore. The light had fled from her eyes, leaving it a barren desert of nothingness. She looked like she had stayed up the entire night in the same position. And maybe she did, for when he walked in this morning, she was seated as she was now.

"Rosie, I can't help you if you don't tell me what's wrong. What has gotten into you?" He grabbed her shoulders and tried to force her to look at him. He wasn't used to this behavior of hers'. Even if she was angry at him or something else, she would still look at him, or even show that she was listening.

Yang Marco debated whether or not he should call a psychiatrist. Just then, a knock echoed throughout the room. He sighed and turned towards the door. "Come in." He gruffly responded, sitting back and placing his hands to himself.

Li Xuan walked in and bowed his head. He was accompanied by a doctor with a clipboard. "Good afternoon, President Yang. It's an honor to meet you."

"What is wrong with her?" Was the first thing Yang Marco asked. Usually, he couldn't care less about what happened to other people. His world revolves around himself and the company. He was just too hard-headed to realize it was actually centered around Rose Yang and her alone.

The doctor briefly glanced at his clipboard and then at the spaced-out Rose Yang. "I recommend we speak about this outside." He was mindful of her current condition. Anything could trigger a patient, especially a woman as young as her. From his reports, he saw that she was only twenty-one.

Yang Marco's face was always in a permanent scowl. His bushy and coarse eyebrows only made it worse. "Very well." He stood up from his chair and caressed the back of Rosè Yang's head. "I will be back very soon, Rosè. Try to not...stare so much." He accompanied the doctor outside.

Yang Marco could see a woman carrying a child from the corner of his eyes, but he paid the new mother no mind. "What is her current condition?"

The doctor took off his glasses and placed it into his pocket. When giving out bad news, he wanted to look at the family eye-to-eye with no interference. "My condolences, President Yang. it is with great regret that I inform you, Miss Yang has suffered a miscarriage."

WAH! WAHH!

The baby in the mother's arms began to cry, his loud screamings echoing down the hallways. The mother gently swayed the crying infant, but it only increased its volume.

Suddenly, another sharp cry pierced the air. This time, it was a scream that froze Yang Marco's blood. A chill crawled up his spine as a cold sweat dribbled down his forehead. "Rosè." He breathed out, swiveling around to the door of her room, flinging it open to see the heart rate monitor accelerate.