Chapter 357 - Unexpected Guest

Park Hwan held his sleeve in place with one hand while the other was holding a paintbrush. The head was made of hair from hand-raised and specifically bred goats. The shaft of the brush was made entirely of jade with silver encrusted into it to enhance the marbling effect.

He dipped the brush into the freshly grounded ink with the slab that Rosè Yang had gifted him. He originally thought nothing of it, but after testing it out once, he decided it would be the ink slab he would be using from then on. For a woman without any knowledge of calligraphy, she certainly had a good eye for equipment.

The breeze from the garden outside drifted into the room. There were hints of bamboo, eucalyptus, and the sweet scent of flowers. The occasional plops of the fish mingled with the chirping of birds enhanced the serenity of this room.

THUD! THUD! THUD!

Park Hwan's concentration broke. His pleasant face shriveled into a permanent scowl, yet again, but he paid the noise no attention.

Someone was rushing down the hallways to see him, and that someone would pay for the disturbance.

Park Hwan knew no harm could come to him. There were guards stationed everywhere around this room and the majority of them hid in the shadows. They were silent killers. But for the sake of display and reputation, there are some outside the door as well.

One of the servants outside hesitantly knocked on the wooden pillar closest to the door. Because the room had a thin, paper bamboo door to mimic the ones used in the Seoul Palace, the servants all used the pillars. "Master, an unexpected guest is desperately seeking your attention. He goes by the name of Jeong Hechong."

Park Hwan hummed in reply. 'Why, if it wasn't Jeong Jaehyun's father. What an odd and unexpected guest indeed.' "Let him in." He didn't bother to lift his head when the door slid open.

Jeong Jaehyun resembled Jeong Hechong in many ways. The two could've been a reflection of each other. It was clear to everyone that Jeong Hechong aged like fine wine. Despite being in his late forties, he did not look a day over thirty.

"I apologize for my unannounced presence, however, the matter is extremely urgent and I couldn't wait another minute." Jeong Hechong was a bit out of breath from storming down the hallways to see Elder Park.

Park Hwan lost the inspiration to draw any characters. He settled his brush down and proceeded to grind more ink. "Sit." He commanded the middle-aged man who instantly sat down onto the mats.

No one had the authority to go against Park Hwan. Not even Jeong Hechong, the current Patriarch, himself. His eyes trailed to the ink slab being used. As an avid calligrapher himself, he was thoroughly impressed by the quality of the plate.

After a few minutes, Park Hwan finally spoke up. "What brings you in today?" He set everything aside. Another quiet knock echoed in the room. "Come in."

"Clean up the materials." Park Hwan instructed the servants who entered the room with their heads bent.

Jeong Hechong was left speechless when everything was cleaned up and placed away in less than three minutes. Everyone moved efficiently and not a single action was wasted. Right after the materials were gone, a round table was placed between him and the Elder.

Roasted green tea was served. A plate of lotus-stamped mung bean cake, sweet potato cookies, and hardened tri-colored pudding was placed in the center of the table.

Jeong Hechong held his breath. Even though he wanted to urgently speak of the matter troubling him, he still waited for Park Hwan.

Park Hwan took his pleasant time lifting the teacup and taking a sip of it, then settling it back onto the table. "Now, you may speak." He told the man whilst lifting a small fork and slicing through the tricolored pudding as if it were butter.