Chapter 383 - Freshly Bloomed Lilies

Rosè Yang wished she had prepared herself mentally and physically when she stepped through the boundary separating her from the hospital room. The faint smell of chemicals mixed with a healthy concoction of essential oils lingered in the room, swarming up her nose. Her senses tingled with the familiar, but unpleasant memories. Light, rhythmic beeping of a machine created a small white noise in the perfectly-cleaned and organized room.

"Has anyone else been in here?" Rosè Yang's hands felt empty. At a time like this, should she have brought flowers? Her eyes lifted to the small vases beside her grandfather.

"Yes, your older cousin, Yang Alice was the first to visit. She brought the freshly bloomed lilies. Accompanying her is Yang Chan came with a basket of fruit and a bouquet of carnations." Li Xuan answered in a heartbeat, ready to list on more names, but Rosè Yang shook her head.

"Get rid of the flowers."

"Miss Yang!" Li Xuan alarmingly said, astonished by her words.

"Grandfather will be offended if he wakes up to flowers. He'll think people are mourning for his death already." Rosè Yang clicked her tongue, stalking to the flower, her hands brushing against the white lily petal. "Throw this one out first. Freshly bloomed lilies will have exposed pollens that might spark allergies. This is also the type of flower you'd bring to a funeral."

Li Xuan paused. The lilies were easily the most beautiful flowers in the room and its mellow pearl-white color was a nice balance to the world of pink, yellow, and red. "The President will not mind the pollen. He's not allergic to it. If we get rid of the flowers without his permission, he will think none of his grandchildren visited him."

"Grandfather is wise. He'll know everyone will come rushing into this hospital room to wait for his will. Besides, he was never the type of man to care about his children or grandchildren."

'But he cared about you.' Ling Suho thought to himself. He kept his mouth shut and turned to Li Xuan whose full lips were pulled into a straight line. "We will leave that decision to the President."

"Fine then. Don't say I didn't warn you." Rosè Yang murmured, stepping back from the flowers.

She was attempting to find everything and anything that could distract her from the unconscious man lying on the hospital bed. She didn't want to look upon his grey, paling skin, or the needles stuck into his veins. He was always a healthy weight, but lying on the hospital bed now, she could see his skin clinging onto his body, exposing the veins underneath.

"Did the doctors say when he will wake up?" Rosè Yang shifted her head in the opposite direction of the bed, an action that neither of the men missed.

"The doctors said he fainted due to stress and strain. It's unsure when he will wake up, but hopefully, it will be by tomorrow." Li Xuan didn't miss the opportunity to throw her a discreet glance when he mentioned the cause of the hospitalization.

She caught onto his stare and glare, "I hope you're not suggesting that I am the reason as to why he's hospitalized."

"I'm not implying anything." Li Xuan frowned, "The President was fine just a couple of days ago, up until—"

"Until I confronted him with the truth." Rosè Yang finished for him, crossing her arms in defense. "We don't have time to play the blame game." She glanced at the calendar on the other side of the room. "I'm sure you know what this means."

Li Xuan wished he didn't have to think about the future. Although Yang Marco was very cold and aloof to him, behaving like a ruthless dictator at times, Li Xuan still felt a connection to his Boss. Yang Marco was like a harsh mentor, or maybe even a distant uncle, to him. It was the worst thing to do, but right now, they had to think about the worst-case-scenario. What if Yang Marco doesn't wake up?