Chapter 396 - Pretty Nails

WARNING : THE FOLLOWING LANGUAGE AND DESCRIPTION IS HEAVILY NOT RECOMMENDED FOR THE FAINT OF HEART. IF YOU GET EASILY DISTURBED BY TORTURE, PLEASE DO NOT READ.

The psychological torture of betrayal was only the beginning of Park Jimin's plans. Fluidly, he settled the partially-sipped glass down beside him. Familiar with the taste of the liquor, it didn't burn his throat as it did to most people.

His blank face and placid eyes were supposed to be out of place for the setting of this room. The dark shadows slithering in the corner created uncertainty.

What could be hiding in the bleak darkness where light couldn't penetrate? Many people feared death for a variety of reasons. Some felt the loss of life meant the loss of everything and others believed it was the uncertainty of what comes after death that terrified them. Regardless of the reason, the fear associated with death all boiled down to one action: torture.

What made the darkness so frightening? Was it the monsters that hid within it? Or was it the nothingness that forced the eyes to completely space out? Flat, bleak darkness swarming the vision, despite the open eyes that rapidly blinked to adjust to the soulless color. A fear of darkness often doesn't stem from the lack of light, but the uncertainty of what could be dwelling in the black void. Could it be an axe murder with blood splattered on the victim's tattered clothes? Or maybe it could be the demon lurking under the bed? Perhaps it was even the ghost hiding in the closet, giggling to herself, a cruel and unusual sound gurgling from her mouth.

So many things could often spike the fear of someone.

Raised in all sorts of environments unsuitable for a growing child, the young Park Jimin knew that best. Thrusted into everything that a person could be scared of, he was taught how to manipulate the environment to provoke and rapidly increase the heart rate.

Through his disorientated eyes that turned solid items into hazy doubles, Jeong Jaehyun was only able to focus on one thing. For the sins he had piled at his feet, Jeong Jaehyun didn't think he would meet the Devil so quickly.

Even when the world was a blur, he could see Park Jimin's flawless face. His golden tinted skin, smooth like newly polished marble, was a stark contrast to his surroundings and environment. He sat in that chair, moderate size with mediocre materials, but with the nonspecific appearance of a throne.

Jeong Jaehyun couldn't think straight. Even so, he could see it. The curve of Park Jimin's thin lips. The corners, sharp and prickly like the thorns of a forbidden rose, unruly tugged upwards in a sinister smirk. And that was the last thing he saw before the lights went out.

Darkness.

The dripping sound in the background ceased. The crippling and unnerving silence plunged Jeong Jaehyun to a heightened state of uneasiness. He couldn't comprehend the situation around him moments before, and now, he was blinded. His ears crinkled, straining, desperate, to hear a sound, any familiar sound, that could calm his racing heart. Thud. Thud. Thud. Something was pounding, growing louder with each passing second.

Haggard breathing, panicked gasps of air that grew heavier and heavier. What was that sound? Where was it coming from? It was so close to him. The senses were unfamiliar. And then he realized, it was him who was making all sorts of noises.

Without warning, something whizzed past him, seemingly out of thin air.

Jeong Jaehyun jumped but kept his mouth shut. In an attempt to pacify his racing heart, he tried to think of the calm ocean tides of the tropical beach he had taken Chou Tzuyu. But thinking about his cheating fiancée only drove his emotions to the edge. He was not in the right state of mind.