Cho Guesung:Starry Eyed

He's lying in the grass.

Arms and legs sprawled out, chin up, eyes wide open. You can make out the way they shine even in the darkness, the lights of the training grounds long since shut down now.

"Everyone was looking for you, you know," you murmur, not bothering to announce yourself. He knows it's you.

He knows it'll always be you.

Guesung merely grins, a lazy, sideways tilt of a thing as he pats the ground beside him. You settle down beside him, legs folded in front of you. It's clearly not what he had had in mind.

"You're doing it wrong," he rolls his eyes.

His hand wraps around your wrist and he gives you a tug. One time. And then once more, with purpose. You roll your eyes back at him before flopping backwards onto your back as well.

The grass scratches at the back of your neck and your ears and you shiver at the sensation. He wiggles beside you until you're pressed to his side, shoulder to shoulder, arm to arm. The bare skin of his arm is warm against yours, even in the cool evening air.

"I don't know why you enjoy this," you whisper. It's much too cold for May. "The grass is so prickly."

He merely snorts.

"Very romantic," he teases back -- but there is nothing teasing about the way he shifts his position, then.

Guesung slides one arm under your head, pulling you into his side easily; prickly grass suddenly replaced by his very solid, very warm chest.

If he can feel your breath hitch, he thankfully doesn't comment on it.

"Look," he whispers into your hair. "The stars look amazing tonight."

You twist slightly, glancing at the way his face is still turned up to the night sky, and then follow his gaze. Up, up, and up -- past the empty goal net, past the training ground stands, past the concrete of the building that has come to mean so much to him in such a short period of time.

Up, up, and up -- until all you can see are stars.

Endlessly, they stretch on, sparkling in the air as if someone has painstakingly sewn them into this blanket of peace and night.

"They're beautiful," you agree, voice so soft you wonder if he'll even hear you. His grip around your shoulders tightens. "I don't think I've ever seen them like this."

He hums in agreement, tilting his cheek until it rests against the top of your head. Your hair catches his stubble and you want to laugh but the moment seems too fragile for it. The stars are too delicate. You're not sure when you'll get a moment like this with him again.

After all...

"I'm going to see the stars in England, too," Guesung promises quietly. You wonder if it's meant more for him than you. "I'm going to see the stars in England. Maybe Spain. Maybe Germany. But definitely England."

Something catches in your throat and you force yourself to continue staring up, up, and up.

(After all, come the end of this summer, who knows when he'll be here like this again?)

"I know," you murmur into the fabric of his shirt. He still smells of his shampoo and body wash and freshly cut grass, still soft and worn post-training. You try to commit the scent to memory. "You'll see them in England. I know you will."

The silence that stretches between the two of you after that feels like the stars. Endless. Fragile.

But then his lips are on your forehead, brushing a soft kiss there. Barely touching, but quietly hopeful in its own gentle, careful way. You grip at his shirt more tightly, your heart pounding.

"You'll see them with me too," he murmurs against your hair.

You can't tell if it's an invitation -- or a question.

Regardless, you shift slightly to look up at him. At his eyes, still shining in the darkness, staring right back at you. The prettiest stars you've seen all night.

"If you want me to," you reply.

This time, his smile is full. Wide and sincere and warm as he pulls you in, strong arms firm and secure around you.

"Of course. I want you to be there," his voice comes rough, when he finally replies. The sound seems to resonate deep in his chest and it shakes you right through from your fingers to your toes. "I always want you."

He knows it'll always be you.

tumblr: dreaamerwrites