𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆 𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗲

˖

It was late. Three am to be precise.

The darkness stretches like a velvety canvas, enveloping everything in its tranquil embrace. The moon, a pale sentinel, casts a soft glow that bathes the surroundings in an ethereal luminescence.

Aneysa was laying down, her head pressed onto Neteyam's arm, as she was faced up.

Neteyam slept on his side, another arm around Aneysa's waist as he slept beside her, but kept her leg up, placing a cushion underneath.

A voice, once calm and steady, now falters, slipping into the tremors of distress. Words emerge in fragments, tangled like threads in the throes of a tempest.

The cadence, once familiar, now carries an unfamiliar weight of fear and confusion. Each murmur and whimper sends ripples of unease, a testament to the vulnerability of the dreamer's mind.

Neteyam flutters his eyes opened, hearing Aneysa beside him, her head moving from side to side.

He sat up, when he noticed what was happening with her, afraid that she would scream.

"A-Aneysa" he stutters, bringing his hand on to her shoulder.

Hearing her sobbing, he squints his eyes, not being able to tell if she was crying. 

Neteyam leans forward, turning on the bedside lamp, before moving back to Aneysa's face full of tears.

"Oh no" he mutters, before shaking her once again, "Aneysa wake up."

"Stop it, please" she sobs, more tears falling out, "it hurts."

"Aneysa, baby?" He calls out again, hoping that if he used certain nicknames towards her, it might help her wake up.

But it was no help.

She begins to move a lot more than before, her hands reaching up, almost pushing Neteyam away, "get off me, please!"

"My love, it's just me" Neteyam places his hand onto her cheek.

A jolt of awareness shatters the fragile cocoon of slumber, pulling her from the clutches of a haunting reverie. As her eyes flutter open, the remnants of the dream cling to her thoughts like cobwebs, casting a lingering haze of unease.

The heart still races, its echoes resounding in your chest like the aftermath of a thunderclap.

Her eyes look up to see Neteyam looking back down at her.

She feels him wiping her tears with his thumb, as he helped her sit up.

"He- he was on top of me. He was hurting me" Aneysa mumbles and looks to Neteyam, "I told him to stop."

"It was a dream, Aneysa. You're here. Look" he tells her.

She wanders her eyes around, seeing herself sat in her bed.

Neteyam reaches over to the glass of water, placed on their bedside table, beside the lamp.

"Here, drink some" Neteyam keeps his hand placed onto her back, to keep her sat up, his other hand holding onto the glass as he helps her drink.