Chapter 64

You made your way back to the table just in time before the awards ceremony started up again.

"I think they're going to present the awards now" Lewis said leaning in and whispering into my ear.

I turned to him nodding squeezing his arm "how exciting" I said whispering back.

"I guess" he mumbled frowning.

"I know you don't want to be here but you have to" I said trying not to take my eyes off the stage and be rude.

"It's so bullshit"

"Just try and forget for a moment that there was an investigation okay"

"I'll try" he said frowning before sitting back in his chair.

I rolled my eyes before catching a glimpse of Max's. I raised my eyebrow at him and he smirked before turning away. As they went through the awards, Max of course walked onstage to accept the his trophy holding it on his hip like a baby before making a short speech. Next was checo who did the same.

As they called out for Lewis I smiled and clapped. He stood up and looked down at me giving a smile before squeezing my arm. Go, I mouthed subtly pointing in the direction of the stage. As he wandered up regrettably I could feel a camera nearby focusing on me. I decided to ignore it and watch Lewis accept his award. As he did so I saw him subtly show his middle finger presumably as a silent protest.

"Oh god" I murmured to myself smiling shaking my head. He made a short but sweet speech, stood for a photo and then returned to the table. He took his seat and placed his trophy on the table before turning to me "god that was awful" he whispered.

"It's over now" I said laughing. We continued to watch the rest of the presentations until the end. The ceremony thankfully came to a close and I again made eye contact with the Dutchman who seemed to be watching me all night. At the end of the presentation Lewis got up and milled around chatting to a few people. I told this opportunity to again confront Max.

"Hey" I said wandering over to Max, a glass of wine in hand "congratulations" I said smiling.

"Thanks" he said smiling "pretty impressive trophy hey" he said smirking.

"I guess" I said as a confused look appeared on my face.

We stared at each other for a while before I spoke up again "so care to explain why you've been staring at me stare bear?"

"You look beautiful tonight" he said smiling.

I didn't really know what to say so instead just awkwardly laughed.

"Also your dress is so sparkly the light reflecting off of it kept blinding me"

"Well maybe if you didn't look at me you wouldn't have hurt your eyes" I said frowning.

"You know Carlos is so lucky to have you" Max said taking another sip of his drink before continuing his staring.

"Yeah I guess he is" I said raising an eyebrow.

"You know sometimes I think he doesn't deserve you" Max said leaning in close to me.

"What do you mean by that?" I asked now becoming more and more curious.

Max realised what he was saying and his eyes quickly widened "I just uh" he said stuttering.

"You just what?" I said narrowing my eyes.

"I just mean that you know you're so accomplished. He's very lucky to have a woman like you" he said awkwardly smiling before murmuring something under his breath.