Chapter 70

Carlos led me up the wooden staircase, his hand on the small of my back the entire time. As we got to the dip, the doors opened to a large room, completely empty except for one table that had been sent. The entire room was lit up with candles so it was the only light illuminating the room. Flower petals were scattered around the table.

If I didn't know any better I would think he was going to propose.

I wandered in and took in the entirety of the room. He wandered out from behind me and stood off to the side let me admire what he had done. He stood there in black slacks, a white button up business shirt that was unbuttoned slightly to reveal his chest. He had styled his hair neatly and the smell of his cologne had taken hold me of.

I turned toward him and he ushered me over. We stood in front of each other and he took my hands in his squeezing them tight. He pulled me in closer before resting his head on mine. I closed my eyes.

How can you be in love with the Devil?

After a minute he stood back and looked me in the eyes. He looked nervous. I needed another drink. But foolishly I had left my bag on the chair near the table. Too far to reach now.

"Saffron" he said still holding tight onto my hands.

I raised an eyebrow.

"From the moment I laid my eyes on you, I knew that I wanted you. I knew that I wanted to make you mine forever. My love for you grows stronger every single day and I wouldn't be half the man I was if it wasn't for you being every step of the way with me. This past year has been up and down for us, but in that time I have grown so much. Saffron" he asked staring back at me.

I raised an eyebrow.

He pulled out a small box from his pocket. He opened it revealing a plain silver band and a giant diamond "would you do me the honour of marrying me?" He asked getting down on one knee.

I froze.

What the actual fuck was happening right now.

I opened my mouth but no words came out.

I was stuck in a trance staring at the ring and then back at Carlos.

I shorted and then laughed "are you joking?" I asked not believing him.

"Of course princessa. I want you and only you for the rest of my life" he nodded.

I cleared my throat "how can you say that to me" I said as a tear rolled down my cheek.

He got up off the floor and closed the box.

I took it from his hand and opened it again. It was stunning.

"How can you stand there and tell me you love me" I said with more tears starting to well up in my eyes.

"What are you talking about Saffron?" He asked moving closer.

I took a step back.

"Don't make me do this" I whispered.

"Do what?" He asked softly.

"Oh give it up would you" I said stomping my foot.

He looked at me blank staring in silence.

"I know you're cheating on me you asshole" I said squeezing my eyes together.

He didn't say anything.

"How can you stand there and honestly say that you love me, and you only want me, and that you have grown so much in the past year and half" I spat.

He still didn't say a word.

"Carlos I want the truth" I said walking closer to him. I lifted his face up forcing him to stare at me and he did so through pain filled eyes.

He cleared his throat "it's true" he almost whispered.

I scoffed "well I hope it was worth it" I said grabbing his hand and opening it placing the box back in his hand.

"It wasn't" he yelled and I flinched moving backward.

"They were stupid dumb mistakes. Stupid stupid stupid. I was drunk for all of them. I was thinking of you the whole time. I even said your name" he said.

I had never felt more disgusted.

"Saffron I love you so much. Please please don't leave me" he practically begged.

"I think you already made your mind up for me" I said crossing my arms.

He stood there sobbing.

I felt bad.

God knows why. Wasn't my fault.

"Do you have anything to say for yourself?" I asked staring at him arms crossed trying my best to hold back the waterfall of emotions.

"Please don't leave" he whispered tears streaming down his face.

I scoffed "you know it's really funny don't you think" I said pacing not making eye contact with him. He watched me walk up and down up and down.

"I fall for you in Melbourne. I fall hopelessly in love. You eventually get bored of me and decide that long distance is maybe not for you. I tell you I fall pregnant and you of all the people you accuse me of cheating on you because how could it have possibly been your baby because you're flying all over the world. I for some reason forgive you, get back together with you, love and support you, move to a different fucking country for you. And all you can do is cheat on me" I scoffed again shaking my head "It's unbelievable"  I said pacing up and down "but do you know what the worst part is" I said walking towards him. Our faces now inches away from each other "that you stood in front of me, fucked me and told me you loved me whilst you were fucking some other woman" I said looking down at his lips "to think you had the audacity to lie to me on the night of my housewarming. To think I could somehow justify that disgusting behaviour you left behind. It's disgusting" I spat.

He swallowed hard and I could see his chest rising and falling rapidly. We stood there for a moment.

"What do you have to say for yourself" I said standing back analysing his face.

He burst into tears, quickly wiping the liquid off his cheeks as it fell. At this point I kind of felt sorry for him. Poor darling.

"I want to apologise. I should have told you in the first place. In fact I shouldn't have even done it and if I could go back in time I wouldn't have done it. You are the best thing that's ever happened to me and I cannot bear to see you leave. I am so so so sorry for the way I have treated you. I don't want you to think this is who I am" he said solemnly.

"I accept your apology" I said staring at him "somewhat" I said shrugging.

"So?" He asked showing me the box.

"You really think that that apology is going to erase all of what you've done. You think I'm just going to move and marry you?" I asked disgusted and confused.

He was silent.

"I cannot put myself through this again. Not with you" I said shaking my head "I think it's best I leave and we never see each other again".

"No" he cried out running to me and grabbing my arms.

"Don't make this harder than it already is" I said pushing his hands off me.

"Saffron this cannot be how this ends" he said pleading.

I shrugged "you did this to yourself" I said as tears welled in my eyes. I couldn't hold it any longer. I burst into tears. The one thing I didn't want to do in front of him.

He offered me a tissue to which I accepted.

"I am going to leave now. I wish you luck in life" I said holding on to the edge of the door. I took one last look before making my way down the staircase.

Overwhelmed with emotions I pulled my phone and dialled Lainey. She picked up after the third ring. I didn't even need to say anything and she had already jumped in the car and was on her way here. I climbed in and broke down. We drove back to my apartment in silence.

She ushered me into my room and I spent the next 8 hours howling and crying my eyes out. I refused to see anyone. Lainey had called Lottie and she managed to get me to stop crying.

This was by far one of the worst experiences of my life.