V2 Chapter 81: Welcome to I-Expo

Lucky for you and Kirishima, you're Bakugou's two best, if not only, friends, so unless he wanted to invite his parents to I-Expo, you were his only options. He had begrudgingly reinvited the two of you, and gave you his remaining ticket.

After your flight and the long security adventure through arrivals, all you wanted was food. Thankfully, there are a ton of food options around the island. The three of you quickly find a food stall you all want to try, and eat while you walk.

"Man, it feels so weird to be spending the day in our costumes like this. Especially without any pros with us." Kirishima says.

"I still think it'd be funny if you bought that tourist shirt to wear with your costume," you laugh.

"No way! No one would take me seriously like that!"

"Please, no one's focusing on you two extras with me here!"

"Oh, is that Y/n?"

The three of you turn around to see none other than Engitech and Kai.

"Hey!! What are you guys doing here?" You ask.

"Engi got invited and let me tag along. I'm glad to see you're well, Y/n."

"Costume looks good! Hope you don't mind the changes too much. I had to make do with the materials I had in." Engitech says.

"No way! I love the colours and the shorts! It's a lot better than what I came up with! Plus, it's so much more comfortable!"

Engitech laughs. "Glad to hear it, kid. Good to see they got you back in one piece. Nearly made me lose all my hair from stress."

"Who's this old man?" Bakugou asks.

You feel your soul slip out of your body for a moment and you rush to shush him.

"Bakugou!!"

"Dude!"

Engitech bellows out a laugh and smiles at Bakugou. "Exactly like I expected you'd act."

"Huh?! What's that supposed to mean?"

"I'm so sorry about him sir-" you begin to say, but Bakugou cuts you off.

"Hey! I was the one who invited you! Don't go acting like that!"

Kai frowns. "Not that she needed your invite."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"We were going to arrange for her to get tickets anyways, but the school told us she was already going."

Bakugou seems annoyed by his answer. "I invited her first."

"...Yes. That's what I just said." Kai says.

Kirishima steps in to save the awkward atmosphere. "So... Super cool to meet two pros! Especially ones Y/n trained with!"

"Oh, I wouldn't call us pros, we're really just sidekicks for support." Engitech says. "It's rare that I fight these days, and Kai handles mostly business aspects."

"I only fight if I need to, but I mainly rely on Engitech's weapons."

"Tch, what's the point then?"

"Bakugou, don't be rude. Not everyone likes to fight." You say.

"Don't get the wrong idea, it's not that I can't fight. I have no need to. I still do the same physical training as the rest of the squadron." An alarm goes off of Kai's watch. "Looks like it's time to go. Your seminar starts soon."

"You're teaching a seminar?" You ask Engitech.

"Yup, I get to talk about all of my latest inventions. They had me bring a few to show off for the Expo. Actually, before we go, I made you something else."

"Something else? You didn't have to!"

"I made them based on your fight with S-" Kai digs an elbow into Engitech's arm before he can say Stain. "Uh, Sierra. Your fight with Sierra."

"...Right!" You say, realizing what he actually meant. "Thank you, sir!"

"I'm always making something, anyways. Don't worry about it." Engitech reaches into his pocket and pulls out a set of wrist bands.

"Put these on. Red on your dominant hand, and blue on the other. There's going to be a small prick when you do."

You take them from him and slip them on your wrists after handing Kirishima your gloves. It feels like a tiny poke on the inside of your wrist, but goes away almost immediately.

"Now they're officially yours." Engitech shows you how to activate them, and you do as instructed.

The red band instantly transforms into an energy bat, and the blue into a force field that follows your hand. They look like they're made similarly to the button suit you wore during your internship.

"Woah! These are awesome!! Thank you so much, sir!!" You say as you admire them.

"Those are so cool! Can I see?" Kirishima asks.

You try handing him the bat, but he can't grab it.

"Pretty useless if no one else can touch it." Bakugou grunts.

"Red head. Activate your quirk." Engitech ignores Bakugou.

"Yes, sir." Kirishima activates his quirk, and Engitech instructs you to hit him with the bat.

You gently swing at him, and the bat connects. Kirishima reaches out to touch it again, but he can't grab it.

"How does that work?" You ask.

"Only the wearer can use the bands. Anyone else won't be able to. Now, your turn, kid." He turns to Bakugou. "Hit the shield with an explosive."

Bakugou grins and everyone takes a step back. Holding the shield in front of you, you watch Bakugou through the transparent blue.

The explosion connects, but nothing happens. Bakugou tries punching through it, but his fist just bounces off. Engitech urges Kirishima to try with his quirk, and the same thing happens. Nothing.

"Now, Y/n. You try blasting ice or water through your side of the shield."

Sure enough, your quirk goes straight through.

"How did you make these?!" You ask.

"Pretty cool, right? The prick at the beginning marks you as the user. They're DNA activated, so only you can use them. Now, they are still prototypes so don't go trying to push past their limits."

You and Kirishima fawn over your new support items, and Bakugou does his best to hide his interest. Kai reminds Engitech of the seminar, and they wave goodbye, saying they'll see you at the party tonight.

Kai remembers something before they get too far. "You three might want to head down that street, they have a competition to see who can beat robots the fastest."

"I'm going to crush it." Bakugou says.

"Thanks, Kai!"