Chapter 122: Sweet Escape

A loud bang comes from above you, and you hear faint footsteps. Hope fills you, and you scream through the gag, hoping you're loud enough for whoever it is to hear. The footsteps pause, before becoming more rushed. You yell again, ignoring the pain that shoots through your chest with each cry. The footsteps become closer, and you stare at the door in anticipation. The door handle jiggles, but the lock on your side prevents it from opening. You scream again, desperately praying they're able to open the door.

There's silence on the other side for a moment, before the door is smashed through. The sudden blast kicks up a cloud of dust from around the door, and you're unable to see who steps through.

Yellow... And red... What is that? You stare at the red shapes following the yellow in, and your eyes widen when you recognize who it is.

"Crap... I'd better call the Commissioner..." The current number three hero, Hawks stares at you from the stairs. "I guess that explains the hail exclusively falling over this building. You okay?"

You let out a whimper as the relief you feel pushes out your ability to pretend your injuries don't exist. Unable to ignore the pain now, tears stream down your face as Hawks hurries over towards you.

"They really did a number on you, huh? Did they torture you? Jeez... Don't worry, I'll get you out of here and to a hospital in no time." Hawks looks over your extensive injuries, and tenderly takes the gag out of your mouth. "You're Izumi Y/n, right?"

You nod slowly, and your voice cracks as you speak. "The League of Villains... Dabi, he... He tried to get me to talk, but I promise I didn't tell him anything...!"

Hawks shushes you. "Forget about that right now. We need to get you out of here." He gently removes the restraints from your wrists, torso, and thighs. He crouches down to the ground and removes the ones on your ankles. His eyes widen when he sees the state of your feet and curses once more. "What the hell..."

"He did it so I couldn't use my quirk..."

"Let's get you out of here." Hawks removes his damp coat, and gingerly lifts you from the chair, careful of your injuries and broken arm. You cry out as he grazes your ribs, and he freezes. "What hurt?"

"My ribs... They're broken..."

Hawks nods, and takes extra care not to hurt you further. He picks his coat up from the stool that Dabi's clone had been sitting on and notices the stain it left when you defeated it.

"They had a clone watching me for the night." You sniffle through the pain and tears. "I beat it thanks to the little bit of water in that bottle, but I couldn't get out of my restraints."

"Impressive..." Hawks looks at the dented metal water bottle on the ground. "When we go outside, you're going to have to cover your face with my coat. No one knows you've been kidnapped except for a select few. We can't have the public freaking out if anyone spots you."

You nod and pull his coat over your body. "Dabi showed me the news. A clone of me was with my teacher at a hospital." Hawks' scent fills your nose as you hide under his coat. It's surprising comforting.

"Yeah, I actually saw her. I was there when she was being questioned. Talked to Eraserhead and your aunt, Mandalay, myself, actually. I was on my way back from it when the rain started, and I saw the hail coming down over this building. You're lucky I was passing by when I did."

"You did? What was my clone like? And where are we?" You ask as Hawks ascends the stairs.

He carefully maneuvers you through the wreckage of the door, using his wings to push it open. "I only caught a glimpse of her, but they both said she was just like you. She was actually the first to say she was definitely the clone. Even your aunt and teacher weren't certain. And we're outside of Tsuyama, Okayama. There aren't many people near here. Now, I've gotta make a call. Can you hold my phone to my ear for me?" He asks as you reach the top of the stairs.

You nod, and he slips his phone out of his pocket. He quickly dials a number and hands you the phone. While you're holding it to his ear, he continues walking through the abandoned building towards the front door.

"Hey. It's me. I found the missing UA girl. I'm in Okayama, just outside of Tsuyama. Where can I bring her to get medical attention? She was being tortured." Hawks waits for an answer, and continues. "Alright. Sounds good. There was a clone of Dabi here with her, but she beat him before I found her." He pauses. "Right. I'll update you when I get there."

It's hard to read his expression, but Hawks gestures for you to pull his phone away. The call is disconnected, and he takes it from you to put back into his pocket. "Who was that?" You ask.

"The Hero Commission. We can't take you to a hospital because people will see you, but there's a location not too far away that we can go to." Hawks says. "It's a private Commission building, so we don't have to worry about you getting recognized. Now, I have to fly us there. Will you be alright?"

You look up at Hawks and nod. "I've made it this long..."

He gives you a grin. "Good! You're a tough little penguin, aren't you?"

"Penguin...?" You say.

"Because of the ice and water. I was hoping to meet you; Tsukuyomi has told me all about you. I just wish we could have met under different circumstances."

"Tsukuyomi... You mean Tokoyami?"

Hawks nods. "Yep! He kept talking about you when he was interning with me. Great work in the sports festival, by the way. Now, I need you to cover that face of yours. Your hair, too. It's pretty rural where we are, but we can't risk someone spotting you."

"Right..." You say, and Hawks pulls his coat around you as he holds you. You wrap it around your face and are enveloped it.

"Perfect. Plus, it's still raining. Don't want you getting pelted by it while we fly."

"Won't you be bothered by it?" You ask, muffled by his warm coat, and resting against his chest.

"Nah, don't worry about me." He chuckles. "Let's head out now." Hawks pushes the door open, and steps outside into the rain.

The water stings against the burns and cuts on your exposed legs and feet, but you graciously accept it. The rain fuels your heart, and helps ease your mind along with Hawks' scent enveloping you.

"You ready to fly, little penguin?"