Chapter 79: Pool Races

"Alright now, everyone. On your marks..." Momo says.

The first heat of boys includes Kaminari, Bakugou, Koda, Tokoyami, and Mineta. They're lined up on the diving blocks, ready to race.

"So, Tsu, how do you think they're planning on using their quirks to swim?" You ask.

"Get set..."

She shrugs. "Knowing Bakugou, it'll be interesting." 

"Go!!"

The boys all dive into the water, save for Bakugou. Using a chain of explosions, he flies across the pool, not even grazing the water below.

"How was that, you sidekicks?!"

"What do you think you're doing?!" Sero angrily points at him.

Kirishima joins him and says, "You didn't even touch the water!"

"It's called freestyle swimming!!!"

"What a joke! You can't call it swimming if you aren't even in the water!" You yell. "For someone who was so upset about his match against Todoroki, you sure aren't following the rules of the fight, Bakugou!"

Bakugou whips his head towards you and scowls. "What did you say?!"

"You heard me!" You turn to look at Tsuyu and snicker. "Someone can't swim!"

"Why you-!" Bakugou starts stomping along the edge of the pool towards where you are floating with Tsuyu.

"Sorry Bakugou, this is water is still deep, I don't want you to drown." You tease the blond. "You'll have to get a floaty if you want to reach me!"

Bakugou gives you a nasty look and jumps in without hesitation. You yelp as he lands practically on top of you, and get pushed below the surface. 

Opening your eyes under the water, you see him glaring at you, and you shove him away.

You both surface, and you yell at him. "What the hell was that for?!"

"See?! I'm swimming in the water just fine!"

"You didn't have to jump on top of me!" 

"You were the one saying I can't swim!"

"Bakugou! What did I say?! Don't attack our classmates!" 

Bakugou tries arguing with Iida, but you interrupt him by lifting him with water and dumping him on the hard ground to which your classmates laugh.

"What was that for?!"

"Bruising me!"

Iida interrupts your bickering and tells the two of you to knock it off. 

After a few minutes, the next heat is on the diving blocks. Todoroki, Aoyama, Sero, Kirishima, and Sato begin, and only the latter two boys actually dive into the water. Using his tape, Sero flies across the pool, but is knocked into the water quickly by Aoyama bumping into him while using his naval laser to fly. Todoroki surfs across the water easily by creating a giant piece of ice the length of the pool.

The water becomes frigid almost instantly due to the amount of ice that suddenly appears, and you grab on to Tsuyu.

She immediately begins to shiver, and you warm the water around her.

"What was that??" You say. "Is no one actually swimming?!"

Kaminari and Mineta have the same thought as you, and yell at Todoroki. "You're supposed to be swimming!!" In turn, he gives them a blank stare.

You pull Tsuyu to the edge of the pool, and Uraraka meets you with towels for your frozen frog friend. She easily lifts her out of the pool with her Zero Gravity, and brings her over to the side to warm up. The rest of the boys make their way to the ladder near you. Aoyama crawls out after, shaking and clutching his stomach.

"Don't throw up in there!" Mina laughs at him.

Sero swims next to you shivering. "Man, I totally thought I had that! Can we get a redo?"

"You didn't even swim!" Kirishima says. Sato agrees with him.

"Dude, your hair is a mess." Sero says to Kirishima. The water had messed up his gel, so his spikes are going every which way.

"Here, I'll make yours match." You smile at Sero and blast his hair with an upwards stream. 

You, Kirishima, and Sato all laugh at the state of his hair, and Sero shrugs.

"Watch this," Sero dips under the water, and comes back up. He pushes his bangs off of his forehead and gives you a wink. "Look, good as new."

Before you can even roll your eyes at him, Kirishima pushes his head back under the water which causes you to laugh even more. 

Iida calls over to you. "Y/n, can you please melt all of this ice?"

"Sure thing, boss man." You say, and you give him a playful salute. Iida looks confused by the nickname.

As the boys clamor out of the pool, and you lift yourself out with the water to simply step down. Midoriya is waiting for you with a fluffy towel.

"Sorry, I don't know which one is yours, but I thought you might be cold, so here's mine..."

You thank him and graciously accept. It's a very plush All Might themed towel, and you can't help but chuckle as you wrap it over your shoulders.

Sticking your arm out of your towel cocoon, you melt the ice Todoroki had created. "I can't believe you guys call that swimming."

"Hey, if it counts for Bakugou, it should work for all of us." Sero says.

As the boys get ready for the next race, you snuggle up in Midoriya's towel next to the rest of the girls to watch. Tsuyu is already a lot warmer thanks to Momo making her a blanket.

The last of the boys to go are Shoji, Ojiro, Midoriya, and Iida. Momo signals them to start, and only Iida stays out of the water this time. Even though he has his swimming goggles and cap on, he doesn't touch the water. He balances on the lane line and shoots across with his quirk. Shoji and Ojiro make impressive progress thanks to their mutation quirks, but Midoriya overwhelms them easily. With his new and improved technique, he swims with ease and incredible speed, and just barely manages to beat Iida. 

As he wins his heat, you stand up and cheer along with your classmates. 

"Nice one, Midoriya!" Sero yells. 

"That was so close!" Mina says.

On the opposite side of the pool, Midoriya helps Iida out of the water. His goggles and cap were seemingly for nothing, as they had both come off when he fell in at the end. 

"That's how you win a swimming race using your quirk! Good job, Midoriya!"

Bakugou is very unimpressed by your excitement. "Tch, whatever! I'll still destroy him in the finals!"

"Yeah? With your long jumping? Midoriya is the only one who won while actually swimming! He's already beat you!" You tell him. 

You stand up from your seat and grab your towel from your bag. With Midoriya's towel still wrapped around you, you head over to him. 

"Here Midoriya, since you gave me yours, you can use mine."

The green haired boy blushes as you hand him your towel. "Thank you, Y/n. You don't have to...!"

"What, and let you go without one? I mean I can dry yours and give it back if you'd prefer..."

Midoriya shakes his head and takes yours from you.

"Why do you even still have that lame towel on, huh?"

"Oh please, Bakugou, we all know you're the second biggest All Might fanboy in the class." You tease him. "I bet you're just jealous-"

"I'm not jealous! Use that damn nerd's towel, I don't care!"

"I wasn't planning on not using it unless Midoriya wanted it back, anyways. This towel is so soft and warm...!" You pull the towel around you tighter, and Bakugou stomps away, muttering under his breath.