Chapter 26: Welcome to the Survival Game

"And who would have guessed this at the beginning of the race!! With Y/n coming in second place by just a hair, Midoriya Izuku wins the race!!! This will be a name to remember everyone!!"

To stop yourself from crashing right into Midoriya, you tuck and roll, and skid on your butt across a sheet of ice you had covered the ground with, and end the race sliding to a halt beside Midoriya.

"Ahh...! I was so close!!" You groan in disappointment.

"You were really cool, Y/n!" Midoriya pants from beside you.

"Are you kidding?! I was cool?! Midoriya, what you did in the minefield was incredible!!" You exclaim.

"Really? Thanks...!" He blushes and  smiles at you before nervously offering you a hand up. You smile back at him and gladly take it.

"Ugh, that landing was not one of my best..." You chuckle and rub your neck as you straighten yourself.

"Look at that sportsmanship!! First place helping second place up, and shaking hands!!"

You smile and wave at the crowd alongside Midoriya. After the two of you, everyone started to cross the line, starting with Todoroki and Bakugou. Neither looked very pleased.

"And now they rest of the competitors are steadily crossing the finish line one by one! We'll compile the results in just a few moments for you all to see. For now, take a breather!"

"Deku!! You were amazing!" Uraraka comes up behind the two of you. "You too, Y/n!"

"Thanks, Uraraka!" You smile.

"To think I'd place so low with a quirk such as my own...!" Iida sighs.

"Congrats on getting the top two spots, but damn it stings!" Uraraka says.

You laugh and Midoriya covers his face in embarrassment.

Midnight's voice cuts through the cheers of the crowd. "Alright everyone! The results are in! The top 42 students are here!!" The screen behind her and those around the stadium light up. Everyone in your class but Aoyama had seemed to pass, and everyone from class B as well. A girl you didn't recognize was up there, too, and so was-

"Hitoshi!!" You exclaim. You whipped around to find him in the crowd of students. He wasn't that far away from you, so you raced over and gave him a hug. "You did it!!"

"Y-Y/n!! There are literally thousands of people watching us right now!!" His face goes bright red and you pull away. The crowd let's out a variety of aws and oos at your embrace making him go even more red. A few of your male classmates shoot him annoyed looks which doesn't help. Of course, you were so happy you didn't notice a thing.

"Sorry, sorry! I couldn't help it! I just got so excited!!" You were bursting at the seams with excitement. "I told you you could do it!!"

"Yeah, you did. But seriously, please, you're killing me."

"What? Are you embarrassed?" You tease. "Should I have fist bumped you instead?"

"I think anything would have been less embarrassing than yelling my first name and running to hug me."

"So next time I should saunter up to you, fist bump you, and say, 'Cool bruh,' like this?"

Shinsou laughs and shakes his head. "Come on, we'd better pay attention."

"These 42 students at the top have earned their right to move on to the second event. I'm sorry to those who didn't make it, but there's always next year. And now for the next trial! The post-preliminary section! This is the last selection to see who gets to compete in the final event! From here on out, even the press corps will be teaming with a white heat of excitement, so go all out!! Now then, onto today's second heart racing event! I already know what it is, but the suspense is killing me...! What could it possibly be?! Well, get ready because I'm about to show you! Behold!"

The screen behind Midnight lights up to reveal the next event.

"A human cavalry battle?" You say.

"Yes! A human cavalry battle! You may form teams of two to four people and form a horseback configuration! Basically it's the same rules as a regular cavalry battle: swipe your enemies headbands while guarding your own. However, today there's a twist... Everyone will receive points based on the place they recieved in the last trial!"

"That means the point value of each team will change based on who's in it...!" Hagakure says.

"Don't steal my lines!!" Midnight says. "But yes, this means that your team's initial point value depends on who you pick to join you. Number 42 will receive five points, 41st gets ten, 40th gets 15 and so on. This applies to everyone with the exception of first place. First place is worth... a whopping ten million points!!"

As the words leave Midnight's lips, all eyes turn towards Midoriya. It was this moment that made you glad you had lost to him by just a hair.

"If I were you, I'd give it my all to go for the guy who came in first. This is a chance for the low to override the high! Welcome to our survival game!!"

-

hi guys! I know I said I'd start updating on Fridays, and today's Thursday, but I'm going to be busy tomorrow and didn't want to risk forgetting to update so I'm posting it early. sorry it's not as long as usual, it was either one kinda short chapter and a regular length chapter, or one really long chapter so I decided to go with the former for more updates. actually, the next chapter has about 200ish more words than usual while this one is about 200ish short lol but I didn't like how it ended if I added more so it'll be made up for next week.

still, I hope you enjoyed it, and thank you for reading, voting, and commenting!! I do notice those who regularly vote and comment and I really appretiate you guys! and I do try to read all of the comments, and they almost always make me smile or laugh so thank you for interacting! have a great day everyone!