Chapter 28: Life as One Third of a Horse

"Begin!!!"

As the word left Present Mic's mouth, most of the teams shot forward in an attempt to claim the ten million points. No matter how much Bakugou wanted Midoriya's headband, he too saw the issues with diving into that crowd. You, Kirishima, and Sero spent the first few minutes circling around them, and looking for an opening.

"Ah! Midoriya's team is flying!!" Kirishima exclaimed.

"That support girl is on their team, isn't she?"

"Support girl...?" You and Bakugou had no clue who Kirishima and Sero were talking about. Bakugou, because he paid so little attention to everyone, and you, because you were so far ahead of everyone in the race.

"She has a bunch of tricks up her sleeve, so we have to be careful. Oh! They're landing over there! Let's hurry! We can take it while they're landing!" Kirishima says.

"Right!"

As the three of you race towards Midoriya's team, others join in. Team Midoriya flies off again, but ends up landing not too far away from you. As you close in on them, Bakugou yells "Getting pretty full of yourself, huh, Deku!"

Bakugou launches himself off of the horse and slams his hand down towards Midoriya. A loud boom sounds as Tokoyami's Dark Shadow intercepts the attack.

"Sero, now!" You say.

"On it!" Before Bakugou can begin to fall, Sero grabs him with tape, and he yanks him back to your team. He lands with a huff across you and Sero with his head right below yours. You laugh at his surprised expression and pushed back hair before helping him sit up. He mutters something about not needing any help, but you just smile as he looks away again.

Present Mic asks what everyone in the crowd wanted to know: "Is leaving your horse really allowed?!"

"It is here on a technicality! As long as your feet don't touch the ground!" Midnight answers.

"Whew... Since this is UA, I figured we could get away with it, but it feels a whole lot better to hear it confirmed out loud..." You say.

"Both the pursued first place team and their determined pursuers are no joke! Let's take a look at the current point spread... How are our teams doing after seven minutes of chaos?" Present Mic says.

Just as he says it though, you see a flash of movement from behind you, and feel a brush as light as a feather on your shoulder. "Bakugou!!!" You shout. You freeze the ground behind you, but it was too late. Monoma had snatched your team's headband from Bakugou's forehead, and copied your quirk. He easily disposed of the ice, and his team jumped out of reach.

A confused chatter breaks out in the crowd as the points are displayed. "Ohh??! Now wait just a second! Aside from Team Midoriya, Class A isn't doing too hot! What happened to Team Bakugou?!"

"Too simple, really, Class A." Monoma says.

"Give that back!! I'll freaking kill you!!!"

"Bakugou! Don't say stuff like that!" You say.

"When Midnight announced the first event, it didn't take a genius to realize our numbers wouldn't be decreasing that much in a preliminary. It wasn't that much of a stretch to think that they'd be letting a good number of us advance to the next round. Forty or so seemed reasonable for a festival. It was the perfect chance to hang back and observe our rivals' quirks and tendencies. It's only reasonable that we ended up playing more modestly."

"The whole class was in on it...?" Kirishima asks.

"Well, not the whole class, but that wouldn't have been a bad idea... Much better than aiming for some fleeting first place, like a donkey chasing a dangling carrot."