Chapter 110: Towards the Flames

"There's still something... We have to take care of..." Midoriya pants.

"What could the two of you possibly do all banged up like that?!" Kota asks.

"I knew he'd keep his guard up... That's why I didn't hold back. Even accounting for that... I was expecting to do massive damage... But that villain is insanely strong."

You hold Kota against you as Midoriya straightens up. "He was on a whole different level..."

"If all of the villains attacking tonight are on his level... Everyone's in trouble."

"You're right... He said they're looking for Bakugou, who knows if they're after anyone else, too..." You say.

"We need to tell Aizawa and the Pussycats what we know. Your aunt can warn everyone. If our actions can save any of them... Then we've gotta do something."

You look over the forest as Midoriya talks, and a glisten catches your eye not too far away. The stream!! I forgot about it! It's not too far away from here and the fires!

"We can leave this villain here. My arm may have been messed up and not full strength, but I still damaged him good. He won't wake up anytime soon. Even if he does, he's not going anywhere. But first and foremost..." Midoriya looks down at Kota.

"We have to protect you." You finish, and you rub Kota's shoulder.

"Huh? But you already did..."

"There's something I need your help with, Kota." You say. "Your quirk... I wasn't sure at first, but now that it's calm I'm certain of it. Your water isn't salty like mine. It's fresh water."

"So? What does that have to do with anything?"

"I can't replenish my water with salt water, but if you can give me some of your fresh water, it should be enough for me to make it to the stream down there." You point towards the fires. "If I can get there, I'll be able to stop the fires from spreading to the building where everyone is meeting up."

"If you can give your sister some water here, I can bring you back to camp where it's safe." Midoriya says, agreeing with your plan. "I doubt she could go very far on empty..."

"But... You're both all messed up! Can either of you do anything with those injuries...?!"

"That's what I saved my legs for." Midoriya smiles.

"I'll be fine, Kota. I'm just going to work on putting out the fires. Midoriya, once you drop Kota off, can you let my aunt know he's safe? And tell everyone they're after Bakugou, too."

"But–"

"It's okay, Kota. Your sister needs your quirk here, alright? You can help us, and everyone else, just like how you saved us. We wouldn't have been able to defeat him if you didn't use your quirk when you did, and now we're asking for your help again." Midoriya crouches down in front of your brother.

"It'll all be okay. We'll be sitting with Auntie and the others in no time, and this will just be a scary story we tell them. I promise, Kota."

"...Okay." Kota fixes his hat, and holds out his hands. "But I can't move it like you do, Y/n. I can only splash it out..."

You shake your head. "Don't worry about that, I'll handle it."

Kota creates some water, and you control it and thank him for it. It's not a lot due to his lack of experience using his quirk, but at least you're not running on empty anymore.

"Is that really enough...?"

"It is. Thank you, Kota." You smile down at him and pull him into a hug. "It's all going to be okay, I promise. This will be plenty to get me to the stream, and I'll get more there. Not to mention I'll be able to use all of the water there to put out the fires, just like how I borrowed your water against him." You gesture towards the unconcious villain.

"We'd better get going..." Midoriya watches the fires raging closer.

"Right. Once I've pushed the fires back, I'm going to go look for Bakugou and the others." You tell Midoriya. "Don't push yourself too hard, Midoriya. Get Kota to safety, and then yourself. Your injuries are a lot worse than mine."

"Be careful, Y/n...!" Kota says.

"Don't worry, you'll see me again before you know it, Kota." You smile and hug him again. "Now, go with Midoriya back to camp."

Midoriya has Kota climb on his back, and your brother gives you one last look before they disappear into the trees below.

Sighing, you turn towards the blazing fires. There isn't much ice and water left up on the cliffside, but it's enough to be worth carrying with you just in case you need it on the way. Holding it in the air beside you, you climb down the hill and make your way towards the stream.

The smoke from the fire fills the forest around you, and you struggle not to cough as you make your way deeper. When you do cough, the stabbing in your chest intensifies, and you want to curl up on the ground. Tearing the sleeve of your shirt away from your broken arm, you manage to tie it around your face over your mouth and nose. It filters some of the smoke, making it slightly easier to hold back your coughs.

After a few minutes of walking, you hear the bubbling of the stream. "Finally made it...!" Dropping to your knees at its edge, you drop the water you were carrying into it, and lean down. With a quick tug, your makeshift mask hangs around your neck. You don't even bother lifting the water with your quirk to your mouth, and just drink it straight from the stream itself.

Thankfully, all of the water in the Beast's Forest is pretty clean, although at this point you probably still would have drank it if it was mud water. Your chest hurts as you crouch over, hand in the stream and face to the water, but you're too eager to drink to care.

As you sit there, gulping down the water, you hear a twig snap past the tree line. You whip your head around, like a gazelle when a lion arrives at the watering hole, and water drips down your chin.

"Well, well, well... What do we have here?"