Chapter 116: Another Identity Crisis

"Don't make me regret being honest with you, kid."

"I won't."

Who am I?

The doctor leaves the room, and you stare down at your arms. You peel the neckline of your top away, exposing your shoulders, and are relieved to see the Nomu scars there. The ones on your torso and thigh are as well.

Hmm... Maybe I am me?

But what if I'm not?

They probably took the clone away. It'll be easier to dispose of than the real me if they need to.

But what if that's just what they want me to think?

Quit it, just stop thinking about it.

I can't stop thinking about it, what if I'm not even me? What's going to happen to me?

Well, if you're the clone then we're not real.

I feel real. I look real. Even my blood was real.

Then believe you're real.

But what if I'm not and the real me comes back?

Then you'll have a new friend.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever thought.

"God, quit it!" You throw your blanket off and shake your head. "Fuck!"

There's a knock at the door. "Are you okay in there?" A voice asks.

"...Yes, sorry..." You sigh and lay back down.

Am I actually me?

What if you are?

Maybe you're going crazy like the guy who cloned you.

I don't know that. There's no guarantee.

You know that's the only way there was a second band.

But that doesn't mean I'm a clone. They said no one saw any signs of me. Maybe they cloned me, and she fought back, so they had to dump the real me.

I didn't wake up until Eraser was shaking me though... Why would my clone be awake?

Not to mention the pain tolerance...

A little pain wouldn't hurt, right...?

I could–

"Knock, knock!!" A familiar voice is at your door.

"Auntie?"

The door slides open, and your aunt walks in. "Hi dear. I got the update, you're not planning anything stupid, are you?"

"N-no!"

"Okay, because when I was talking to the doctor someone came rushing to your door to check on you because, and I quote, 'she just flung her blanket off telling someone to quit it.' You wouldn't happen to know what she was talking about, do you?" You aunt glares down at you on the bed, and you sink in further.

"...I think I'm going crazy."

She sighs and walks towards you. "I can't begin to imagine what you're going through now, love. But, it doesn't matter whether or not you're a clone. You're still my niece. Don't go doing anything stupid, okay?"

You nod, and feel embarrassed at your spiral. "I thought I was okay with the idea of being a clone, but now I'm not so sure..."

"I brought this for you." She holds out a box for you, and you accept it.

"What's in it?"

"Well, open it up."

Inside the box is an audio recorder and a new phone.

"Now, your old new phone got charred in the fires. Try to keep better care of this one, alright? I know we're heroes, but it's still a decent amount of money to be buying two new ones in such a short period of time." She chuckles.

"Thank you, auntie. What about the recorder?"

"Well, I talked to the Detective and Aizawa and they agreed that since you're being recorded on camera anyways, it might do you good to record everything that's happened since Midoriya and Kota left you alone on the hill. That way, it can help keep you from spiralling..."

"And it would be helpful for the real me to listen to if I am actually just a clone..." You finish for her.

"...That, too." She sighs. "Try not to worry about it too much okay, love? If you end up not being the original, we'll figure something out. We're already going on a break with Ragdoll missing and Pixiebob so injured... You could always come back to the house and stay with us."

"But what about UA?"

"...I don't know how that would work, or if they'd let you..."

"...It's okay, Auntie." You sigh. "I'll record everything, and if I end up not being real, then we'll just have to figure that out later I guess..."

"I'm sorry, Y/n..."

You smile back at your aunt and shake your head. "No, thank you. It really helped having you here."

"Of course, my dear."

She kisses you on the forehead and stands up. "I have to go check up on Pixie now, but I'll be back soon to talk more, okay?"

You nod. "Tell her I hope she's doing well."

"I will, dear."

Your aunt leaves your room, and you stare down at the recorder in front of you. "I guess I better get talking..." You sigh and turn on the recorder. "Let's get this started... Hey, me."

Your aunt pokes her head in about half an hour later, but sees you're busy talking into the audio recorder, so she waves and leaves you to it. You talk about everything you remember happening, and about your feelings as well. Having the staff listening in doesn't bother you as much as you expected at first, and you find yourself pouring your heart into the recording.

As the hours pass, you find yourself running out of things to talk about. When you do, you set up your new phone, and decide to leave a video message for yourself, just in case you're not really real. Dinner is brought to your room, and you eat it happily.

With your belly full, you drift off to sleep.

.
.
.
.
.

"It's horrible!!! Turn on the news!!" Voices scream from the hallway, waking you with a start.

What's going on?!

You throw your blanket off, and stumble out of your room. The hallway is filled with frightened staff and patients alike.

"All Might is fighting some crazy strong villain!! He's already taken down Best Jeanist and a bunch of other heroes!!"

What?! What is going on?!

You jog down the hall, trying to find a TV, and see one down the stairs in a lobby.

I'll go down there... Holy crap!! What happened?! That's a crater!!! You stare at the screen as you reach the top of the stairs, and see the damage done to the city.

Still staring at the TV, you go to step down the stairs. Due to your distraction, you slip and fall forward.

"Shit!! Y/n!!" You hear your doctor shout, but it's no use.

As you crash down the stairs, pain fills your body, consuming you. The last thing you see as your vision fades to black is your doctor running down the stairs after you, but by the time he reaches you, it's too late.

"I guess I really was the clone, huh?"