Chapter 35: Combating Cotton Candy

Iida's match against Hatsume lasted almost ten minutes which gave you a lot of time to prepare. During that time, you drank more water and tried to solidify your plan to win.

You knew Mina had incredible reflexes and was physically stronger than you. Immobilizing her quickly would be the best option, but knowing her, that might be difficult.

As it was announced that the match was over, you stood up from your seat. Tokoyami or Yaoyorozu would be in any moment now to prepare for their match, and you were due out.

The door closed softly behind you, and you let out a breath you didn't realize you were holding. Just a few steps down the hall and you would be the main focus of thousands. It was different when there were dozens of students in the arena. Now, you and Mina were the main focus of all of those people.

The noon sun shone down harshly into your eyes. It seemed to reflect off of every surface, and you held you arm above your eyes to block it. Opposite to you, Mina entered the arena. The two of you met in the middle, each in your respective starting spots.

"Alright! You already know who she is!! The girl who placed first in the heroics entrance exam and only lost first place in the obstacle course by a hair! A warm and friendly personality that totally doesn't match her freezing cold quirk! It's Izumi Y/n!!!" Present Mic announces. You smile and wave as the crowd cheers. "Versus!! Our resident pink girl! Don't let her fun personality mislead you! She can pack a huge punch! It's Mina Ashido!!!"

The crowd cheers once again, and Midnight steps into the ring. "You two know the rules. One step out of this ring and you're out! If you immobilize your opponent, knock them out, or get them to say they give up, then they're also out!"

She steps back out when the two of you nod.

"Are you ready?!"

You roll your shoulder backwards and stretch your arm.

"Begin!!!!"

The second the match begins, you freeze the ring and the area just outside of it. You try to freeze Mina, too, but she jumps in time to avoid it.

"Ha! You'll have to try better than that to get rid of me, Y/n!"

You smile and she lands. She of course was able to use her acid to skate, but you weren't worried about that. Thanks to Awase, your damaged boot was functioning as good as the other.

You shoot streams of high pressure water at her, but she manages to avoid all of them.

Mina closes in on you, and before she reaches you, you throw off your jacket. Within seconds Mina has you pinned down on your stomach. Her knee digs into your back and each arm is pinned.

"Oh?! Mina has Y/n pinned down!! Is this the end?!"

"Nope." You release a huge amount of steam from your bare arms your exposed lower back, and the frozen ground around you.

"What the- Ow, ow, ow!!" Mina releases your arms and protects her face from the burning steam. The second her fingers lift from your skin, you twist and blast her with water. The high pressure sends her flying off of you, and you jump up. Mina's front was soaked, and now she couldn't avoid your ice.

As Mina's feet hit the ground, you freeze the water soaked into her clothes and stick her in place. The ice surrounds her faster than she can melt it with her acid, and soon covers all but her head.

"Aw, come on!" She cries.

"Ashido, are you able to move?" Midnight asks her.

She sighs. "No..."