Chapter 7: A Cool Conversation

Once lunch time rolled around, you found yourself making a difficult choice. Originally, you were going to sit with your best friend, Shinsou. However, you couldn't find him anywhere in the cafeteria, and he wasn't answering his phone. Then you were going to take Tetsutetsu up on his offer to eat lunch with him and Monoma, but the two weren't sitting near each other and seemed to be having good conversations with their new classmates. You debated asking if you could sit with Kirishima, Sero, and Kaminari, but soon realized there weren't enough seats around them. Besides, Bakugou was staring intently at you and basically drilling a hole into the back of your head.

Finally, you spotted someone from class who you had been wanting to talk to who was also alone. Taking your tray, you make your way through the crowd to his table.

"Hey, Todoroki, right?" When you arrive at the table you smile at him and he looks up at you.

Todoroki nods. "Yes. You're Y/n, correct?"

"Yep~! That's me! Do you mind if I sit with you?" You ask.

"Go ahead." He moves his tray a little closer to himself, and you sit across from him.

"The way you use your quirk is so cool! Ours are really similar, but you handle it so much better!" You tell him as you poke at your food.

"Thanks. I've... trained a lot ever since I was a child." He awkwardly takes a sip from his drink.

"I noticed you were melting some of the ice, how does that work?"

"I can use fire, too, but I only use it to regulate my body temperature and melt my ice." He takes a bite of his food and you do the same.

"Woah! That's even cooler! How come you don't use fire more? Oh is that where your scar came from? Did you accidentally burn yourself sand so now you don't want to use it more than you have to?" Not noticing Todoroki's face, you ramble on. "Or is it more of a Zuko from the Last Airbender sort of situation and someone with a fire quirk-"

He stops you before you actually put the pieces together. "No. There was an accident involving heat when I was young. I'm strong enough with my ice, and fire is too destructive for me. I don't really like talking about either though, so please don't bring it up again."

"Ah I'm so sorry! I should have known not to mention it! I'm really sorry!" You bow your head to him repeatedly as you apologize.

"It's fine. How do you regulate your temperature, Y/n?" He changes the focus to you.

"Oh! See, I can create water and control it's state and stuff. I'm best at using ice, and I'm working on getting good with plain old water, but it's difficult because I need to make sure I keep it at a regular temperature. I'm not very good with hot water or steam, but I can boil things pretty easy! Watch this!" The two of you lean over your empty mug, and you fill it with water from your finger.

First, you bring it to a boil. Then, you slowly bring it back down to room temperature. After that, you freeze it solid and melt it again. You bring the water out of your cup and twirl it around your finger for a second before trying to evaporate it.

Todoroki can't help but smile a little as he watches you stick your tongue out in concentration. Finally, the water turns to steam and goes into the air.

"Woah that was so cool!!" Kaminari comes up from behind. "You can do so much with your quirk!"

Todoroki goes back to his usual slightly annoyed expression and you look up to see Kaminari above your head. "Thanks! What's up aside from you?" You laugh.

"I was just about to get some water but then I thought, hey my new favourite water fountain is, well, a water fountain!" He laughs and moves to your side.

"Sorry Kami, unless you like salt water you're out of luck." You chuckle.

"Aw what really?" He sighs. "I'm having flashbacks to that one episode of Pokémon where they all almost die of dehydration in the desert even though they have water types."

"Oh my god how do you remember that and also yes exactly!" You start laughing with Kaminari.

"What's Pokémon?" Todoroki asks with the most intense and serious face you had ever seen.

At that you and Kaminari laugh so hard you have trouble breathing.

"How have you never heard of Pokémon, Todoroki??" Kaminari laughs.

"Maybe because he isn't a loser like us, Kami," You laugh.

"You two aren't losers...? Neither of you came in last place today, and Y/n, you got third place...?" Todoroki looks very, very confused.

"Aw! Todoroki!" You and Kaminari cry. "Kaminari, we have to protect Todoroki at all costs!"

"What...? Protect me from what? I don't need protecting."

"He's too good!!" Kaminari and you are blinded by Todoroki's brightness.

"...Good? At what? Y/n, Kaminari, you two are confusing me. Please explain."

"Thank you for being so good, Todoroki!" You cry.

"What???"

Timeskip to after school

After the fun at lunch, your mood had gotten even better. Unfortunately, Shinsou hadn't texted you back yet, so when the final bell rang, you made sure you get to the front gate as soon as you could.

As you waited, a purple haired boy snuck behind you. "Boo."

"Bitchshitfuck!" You shout as you whip around. "Finally! Where have you been? And why didn't you answer my texts??"

"Sorry, I forgot to charge my phone last night and it died at the beginning of lunch. I felt too crowded in the cafeteria, so I just ate outside."

"Ah, okay, how was your first day?" You smile.

"It was the same as usual. Nobody said my quirk was villainous though, so that was pretty good. I didn't see you at the assembly though. Actually, your whole class was gone. The principal muttered something about it I think."

"Yeah, we skipped that. Can you believe on the first day we had to do a test?! First thing!" You groan.

"What was it on? Hero laws?" Shinsou asks. As much as he wanted to be in the hero course, he made sure he wasn't making you hide things from him in pity.

"No, you know those physical tests and stuff they force kids to do in middle school?"

"That seems kind of lame for the hero course."

"That's what I thought! But then my teacher, Aizawa, said we could use our quirks for it!"

"That sounds pretty cool. How'd you do on it?"

"I got third place! There's a guy in my class who's quirk is just like mine! He can use ice and fire and I talked to him about it at lunch."

"That's great! I'm surprised you didn't eat with that Tetsutetsu guy though." Shinsou said with a hint of jealously. Being oblivious, you missed it. After all, this is a harem.

"Well after I couldn't find you I was going to sit with him and Monoma, but they weren't sitting close to each other and seemed like they made some good friends in their class so I didn't want to interrupt them.

"Sorry about that... We can eat together tomorrow if you don't have plans with anyone from your class already..."

"Of course! Wanna stop at the convenience store, and get slushies?"

"Always."

-

thought I posted this earlier but apparently I didn't so here you guys go!